INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I accomplish this?  (Read 1930 times)

goldstmarc

Can I accomplish this?
« on: June 06, 2009, 10:31:23 pm »

Hey guys, I currently am using Jinzora as MPD basically.  I have an always-on server connected to a stereo system.  It is available via a web interface and can be used on any computer to control home audio.

However useful of a utility it is, it is very buggy.  I have constant crashes with VLC and frankly, it's slow and has a very messy interface.  I come here looking for a replacement.  

Basically, I want to know if any of the JRiver products can do what im looking for.  Install a "server" side client on the server (which contains all the music).  As for the client, I don't have any need to stream music, just play it on the server itself.  The key however, is a web interface.  I want anybody to be able to go into a browser instead of using software.  Can this be done with any of the J River products?  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can I accomplish this?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:06:19 am »

Media Jukebox won't do it, but our paid produce, JRiver Media Center does.  It has a built-in web server.  Other people have build plug-ins that use it.

Here's a link that will get you started:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Servers

MC14 has a more powerful version of that, but it isn't quite useable yet.

goldstmarc

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:09 pm »

Media Jukebox won't do it, but our paid produce, JRiver Media Center does.  It has a built-in web server.  Other people have build plug-ins that use it.

Here's a link that will get you started:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Servers

MC14 has a more powerful version of that, but it isn't quite useable yet.

Thanks for the response.  I've been playing around with the trial a little.  Is there any way to play the music on the remote computer itself instead of streaming to my computer?  That's really what im looking for.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:13:54 pm »

We're working on that right now in MC14.  Here's a link:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52261.0

It is partially working.  When you connect to Library Server, MC on the client asks if you want to play "here" or "there".

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:53:12 pm »

Is there any way to play the music on the remote computer itself instead of streaming to my computer?

I always get very confused when it comes to servers and stuff, so maybe I'm misunderstanding...
but I don't think you need to wait for MC14, Remote Server in MC13 does exactly that...are you using Media Server instead?  Remote server does exactly what you asked...through a web browser so the client doesn't require MC, you just use the client's browser to select what to play and the server plays it.

Tools->Options->Startup->Actions->Run Remote Server.

goldstmarc

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »

Ah yes, thanks  eba.  Remote server does what I need but it's very basic. 

I'm currently looking through the plugins, I may end up designing my own web interface.  In the meantime, I will be watching J River eagerly for version 14!   Thanks for the help guys.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:43:58 am »

Have a look at http remote control.

It's a very neat plugin that I do believe does what you need, and then some.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up