INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open new pane in something other than"Start"?  (Read 3318 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Open new pane in something other than"Start"?
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »

I've removed "Start" via 'Options-General-Advanced-Features' yet whenever I open a new pane/tab, the Start page is still displayed.  Is there an option I'm missing somewhere that changes this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Open new pane in something other than"Start"?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »

I've removed "Start" via 'Options-General-Advanced-Features' yet whenever I open a new pane/tab, the Start page is still displayed.  Is there an option I'm missing somewhere that changes this?

Sorry, there's not.  If you leave tabs open, they'll be remembered between sessions as long as you pick "Last Location" for the startup location in Options > Startup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:46:16 pm »

Thanks, Matt, I'll do that.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:59:11 am »

Another way, is to middle click on the view you want to open, and it will open in a new tab. Very handy.

You can keep going beyond 6 tabs this way. I often find myself with anything between 7 and 10 tabs open!!

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:12 pm »

I like a lot of tabs open too.

But my middle mouse button doesn't seem to do anything like what you describe (it actually does nothing at all) no matter what I click.  It's a Logitech G5.

Can you describe this a bit more?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:35:26 pm »

But my middle mouse button doesn't seem to do anything like what you describe (it actually does nothing at all) no matter what I click.  It's a Logitech G5.
Sounds similar to this problem.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 02:21:56 pm »

Can you describe this a bit more?
Setpoint?

I use an MX Revolution.
I don't have setpoint installed here.
It means that the "application switcher" thumb wheel thing is completely dead. This does not bother me as Alt+Tab or the taskbar do an equally good job.
It means that I loose the left/right scrolling when tilting the scroll wheel. Again, I'm not too fussed about this as I found precious few applications that this would actually work in anyway.
It means I can't apply custom functions to various mouse buttons. My life is no less rosy as a result.

If you are using setpoint, have you checked to see how the middle mouse button is configured there?
If you find it's configured to be a normal, middle mouse button, it means that something is being lost in the translation.
Try turning setpoint off and see a) if the middle button behaves, and b) can you live without setpoint?

-marko.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

I'll dig into it and report back.

I actually *do* use Setpoint definitions for a couple of other apps.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »

Well, I figured you might be right and I really didn't need Setpoint after all.  Or at least it was worth a try.

Then, after uninstalling it, I came to the realization that I don't have a middle mouse button... I have a click-able scroll wheel.  Duh.  Guess that's not the same.   :P

Am I out of luck?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 01:04:09 am »

Nope, or at least, you shouldn't be... my middle button is a click-able scroll wheel too. Only thing I notice is that I need to be quite precise when using the wheel as a middle button...

I need to place the mouse over the 'to be clicked on' item, and then press down quite firmly for the click to register. I figured it was just my mouse... maybe not though, maybe yours too?

drifting slightly off topic:
This is my second Logitech mouse. My first one was an MX 1000. It was a nice, solid mouse that I liked a lot... untill it started firing double clicks when I was only single clicking. It got worse and worse untill it got so bad the mouse was unuseable. I got about 18 months out of that mouse. I was not impressed, but figured I'd just got a lemon. It's the kind of thing that happens to me a lot... I can be presented with shelves, stacked floor to ceiling with one thing or another, and you can put your savings on me picking up the one box with a critical piece missing!!!!

Here I am, with a 19 month old MX Revolution, and yeah, it's started firing of the odd double click when I'm only single clicking. What do you think, Logitech in general, or just my bad luck?

-marko.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:49:31 am »

No matter what I do with that click-able scroll wheel, nothing happens in MC.  This is true whether I'm in the tree or in the 'View' menu.  Instead, I cycle through opened windows... just like Alt-Tab.  Setpoint is completely out of the picture.  Not sure what else to try other than re-enabling Setpoint and programming the button to send... what?

But what is this essentially?  Hidden functionality... an undocumented feature?  Normally, only 6 tabs can be opened, right?  Can this be "feature" be assigned to a keyboard shortcut instead?

re: Logitech... I'm going on 2 years with this G5 and my wife is 1 year and counting.  No issues.  Before that I had an Mx500 which lasted... exactly 2years!  The left mouse button just wore out to the point where some clicks wouldn't register at all.  We have other mice on other machines here but the ergonomics of these Logitechs just suit us.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 02:58:53 am »

Nope, or at least, you shouldn't be... my middle button is a click-able scroll wheel too. Only thing I notice is that I need to be quite precise when using the wheel as a middle button...

I need to place the mouse over the 'to be clicked on' item, and then press down quite firmly for the click to register. I figured it was just my mouse... maybe not though, maybe yours too?

drifting slightly off topic:
This is my second Logitech mouse. My first one was an MX 1000. It was a nice, solid mouse that I liked a lot... untill it started firing double clicks when I was only single clicking. It got worse and worse untill it got so bad the mouse was unuseable. I got about 18 months out of that mouse. I was not impressed, but figured I'd just got a lemon. It's the kind of thing that happens to me a lot... I can be presented with shelves, stacked floor to ceiling with one thing or another, and you can put your savings on me picking up the one box with a critical piece missing!!!!

Here I am, with a 19 month old MX Revolution, and yeah, it's started firing of the odd double click when I'm only single clicking. What do you think, Logitech in general, or just my bad luck?

-marko.

if it makes you feel better there are others with the same problem ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up