INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: WHS add-on  (Read 9075 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Feature Request: WHS add-on
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:15:37 am »

Guys,

How about making MC14 an add-on for Windows Home Server. From here we can control the uPNP server, library, encoding ect and also have it be like a master library for MC 14 where the clients can rip straight to.

I am sure there are other ideas that could be added to MC14 to take advantage of Windows Home Server.

What do others think.

John

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: WHS add-on
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:02:33 am »

I currently run MC on my WHS... it and my girlfriend's laptop are the last Windows machines in the house.  I connect remotely to use MC. 

An addon wouldn't do me much good since you can't run the WHS console on Mac or Linux boxes, but I would have been all over this a year ago.

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:51 am »

I like this idea!!

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:50:20 pm »

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:45:28 am »

I currently run MC on my WHS... it and my girlfriend's laptop are the last Windows machines in the house.  I connect remotely to use MC. 

An addon wouldn't do me much good since you can't run the WHS console on Mac or Linux boxes, but I would have been all over this a year ago.

Can you give more information?
My WHS is headless (no keyboard/mouse/monitor).
On WHS startup do you have to logon as some user to make MC services start, or what?
Do you use the library server feature (ie you keep the library on WHS)?
Do you also keep the actual library content (audio, video, pictures etc) on the WHS?
Please to hear about.. Thanks

envyc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 03:23:49 am »

I definetely think this is a valid future enhancement to MC. WHS is a growing platform and there are multiple new machines being offered by major and niche vendors, some of which are touting media sharing and management solutions. WHS 2.0 is in the pipeline and I think that JRiver could gain a strong foothold in this marketplace with a closely integrated media management solution.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:13:41 pm »

A question for the WHS experts here.  I've always be interested with the reported user friendliness of WHS, as advertised.  However, I have several requirements that I'm not sure if WHS satisfies.

1.) User Account "My Documents" redirection (currently I'm using GPOs in Windows server 2003 to redirect "My Documents" folder to a network share on the server for each user account)
2.) Run Exchange 2007, so that I can log on to any computer in my house and have access to my Outlook account
3.) Run uTorrent
4.) supports my Intel Matrix Storage RAID 5 (I don't need Windows to handle the RAID, just support the mobo raid)

Honestly, Windows Server 2003 has been a bit too complex for me to take advantage of all the features, I would like a more user friendly alternative.

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:27:43 am »

I requested WHS add in in version 13 and got the same enthusiastic response from management as this thread.
Apparently JRiver doesn't see the promotional advantages available to WHS add in creators.
There have been improvements in WHS media share capabilities as well as other add ins to increase the usefullness of WHS media sharing so I haven't missed the ability to integrate the Media Center into WHS.
I would probably buy 14 if it ever includes a WHS add in however.
John

Grumpy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:17:21 pm »

I'm confused.  At this time I have MC running on my MSS (as a service) to feed content to two D-Link DSM-520's.  It works great where other app's would not (they would drop content from the lists).  So im not sure what you are asking.
18Tb Media Server, MC14. 1800+ movies and growing.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:28:22 pm »

I support this request too. I have seen other addins that let you run software inside a tab on the WHS console, so it might already be possible, but I haven't tested it out.

I use the HP mediasmart server, and created a new user account on it which i login to with Remote desktop. In that account I have MC running in media server mode so that it is the central library. It does all of the auto importing of new files and thumbnail building. I connect to it using Library server on other machines and do my tagging there and then do a "Library sync" before closing the software. It all works pretty well, and I think JRiver should put all of it's marketing muscle into promoting such a workflow, and making it simpler to set up. The obvious way to do this would be to simplify the set up on a server. Other users won't know how to get in to WHS to load MC. They will only be using the console so there needs to be a way to install and control MC within a tab on the console.

I know that WHS is only one product in the home server area, but in my line of thinking, anything not WHS is going to be even more difficult to set up a MC server on and so outside the realm of most users anyway.

The way of setting up "mymovies" on WHS as an addin should be a shining example to JRiver about how to make it simple and graceful for the user.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:14 pm »

agreed.  i have an HP mediasmart WHS, and the console has an itunes tab by default, which is useless to me.

and i have slimdevices/logitech hardware - their latest server software has a WHS install file to install as an add-in within the console.

to me, if you're running windows, WHS is the best solution for media sharing. 

and i have no clue how to use jriver with the WHS i have.   at best, if its not going to be supported, there should be something in the wiki about how to use it in lieu of an add-in installation.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 03:14:10 pm »

+1

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 09:35:59 am »

+ another!

I recently set up a new WHS machine. One of my big goals was to use it as a central music server. Now that it's up and running and I'm about to setup MC on it I find that there is not a clean way to do it. At least not readily apparent to me, and it seems many others. Very Frustrating!

There is another thread on the topic http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54525.0   I made a post there asking for guidance, or to tell me to open another thread if that's appropriate, and have not gotten a response. I'm very surprised, and I must admit disappointed, that JRiver has not chimed in on this subject. They are spending time working on Clipnotes, a very esoteric addition to MC, and not seemingly getting involved in WHS applications. This is an immediate need for many people using MC and I think a huge usage in the future.

Rod

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 10:24:15 am »

I recently set up a new WHS machine. One of my big goals was to use it as a central music server. Now that it's up and running and I'm about to setup MC on it I find that there is not a clean way to do it. At least not readily apparent to me, and it seems many others. Very Frustrating!

We are getting closer. Watch the news in the thread you mentioned above!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:09 am »

Thanks YannisA - I am anxiously awaiting the good news and will be keeping my computer stuck on that thread.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:10 am »

We are getting closer. Watch the news in the thread you mentioned above!

I keep watching both of these threads hoping for a solution. I'm a little dense on understanding some of the conversation in that thread so perhaps there are some good answers and I'm not aware of it. There haven't been posts in several days so either there is an answer or it may take quite awhile to work out. I would sure appreciate some simple enlightenment here.

Thanks very much.
Rod

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 10:16:48 am »

Rod

The title of this thread creates some misunderstanding, I guess.
We are not talking about WHS add-ons here but, how to turn our WHS to a music server by installing MC into it.
So, did you install MC on your WHS? (this is the 1st step)
2nd step is, to start Library server on the MC running on your WHS, so other PCs with MC can connect to it.
Have you reached this point?

PS It would be useful if an admin could create a separate thread for this, under the title of (for example) "MC and LS on WHS"

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:23:35 am »

It would be useful if an admin could create a separate thread for this, under the title of (for example) "MC and LS on WHS"

No confusion on my goal. I want a MC add-on. I don't want to clutter my WHS by installing the complete MC.
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:24:52 am »

No confusion on my goal. I want a MC add-on. I don't want to clutter my WHS by installing the complete MC.

We have no plans for anything special for the WHS.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:30:52 am »

The title of this thread creates some misunderstanding, I guess.
We are not talking about WHS add-ons here but, how to turn our WHS to a music server by installing MC into it.
So, did you install MC on your WHS? (this is the 1st step)
2nd step is, to start Library server on the MC running on your WHS, so other PCs with MC can connect to it.
Have you reached this point?

PS It would be useful if an admin could create a separate thread for this, under the title of (for example) "MC and LS on WHS"

Thanks YannisA for the response. I haven't installed MC on the new WHS machine yet. With all this confusion (at least it sure is to me), I just wasn't sure how to best go about it. It seemed that far more experienced users than I were having difficulty. I also was hoping for some 1,2,3s as you thankfully outlined above before starting. So later today or tomorrow I will do steps your steps 1 & 2 and see how it works.

I sure agree with your PS!

Thanks again.
Rod

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:41 am »

What I have done on my WHS:

Supposing our music in a shared folder Music on WHS
Supposing our photos in a shared folder Photos on WHS
Supposing our videos in a shared folder Videos on WHS

On the MC running on our WHS:

Menu: Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import Folders > Add Folder…
Here you can add:

\\My Server's name\Music
\\My Server’s name\Photos
\\My server’s name\Videos

The above will enable MC on WHS to build it’s own library which, afterwards, will make available to clients, through LS.
At this point you have to start Library server: In the tree on the left of the MC interface, click on Services and Plug-ins to expand it, then click on Library server and then Start server.

--

On the client PC that has MC installed:

Menu: File > Library > Search for Library Servers

The MC on the client will detect the published library by the LS on the WHS, load it and display it on the client.

This is the procedure for the beginning.

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 10:38:02 am »

We have no plans for anything special for the WHS.

Exactly!
Add-ons for WHS are made by 3rd companies.
See the relevant site at http://www.whsplus.com/

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 11:03:08 am »

Exactly!
Add-ons for WHS are made by 3rd companies.
See the relevant site at http://www.whsplus.com/

Not exclusively. Note the add-ins with trial/buy in the license column. http://whsaddins.com/  They are commercial software with a special adaptation to utilize the unique features of WHS.

Specifically look at Recorded TV Manager and Digital ArcHound as examples.

As an example of the promotional opportunities, I purchased the mControl automation software after finding it on one of the many sites that promote WHS add-ins (even Microsoft promotes them).

D-Link is now customizing their camera software for use with WHS so the list of commercial suppliers offering add-ins continues to grow. http://mswhs.com/2009/10/28/exclusive-d-link-d-viewcam-add-in-for-whs-1-0-0/

I appreciate Jim's candid reply and I can now move on.
John

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:21:07 am »

Thank you for your reply.
You must admit that, a piece of software like MC which costs peanuts to register, cannot be constantly watching what others are launching and then, to go with them.
MC is a media player and under this view, it is much better compared to others, as it offers custom features selctable by the users.
It can benefit/add features from existing software (eg Mymovies), but not building new from scratch like the WHS platform, for the present purchase value.
Unless, a new project is born within the Mc team, which will substantialy raise the purchase price...
This is what I believe.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »

Here you can add:

\\My Server's name\Music

The above will enable MC on WHS to build it’s own library which, afterwards, will make available to clients, through LS.
At this point you have to start Library server: In the tree on the left of the MC interface, click on Services and Plug-ins to expand it, then click on Library server and then Start server.

--

The MC on the client will detect the published library by the LS on the WHS, load it and display it on the client.

This is awesome. I am definitely going to give this a go. So - what happens when you want to update MC? Do you run the new installer on the WHS first...then the clients? Does it mess up any library server connectors or mess with anything on the client end?

And how about adding to library? Can I edit, tag, convert on a workstation and then simply copy the "ready" material out to the appropriate share and MC will pick it up via Library Server? Over here - I tend to use MC as the master playback device and do all the music prep via other tools ala Tag and Rename, dbPowerAmp and EZ-CD Extractor Pro. I would assume MC  - because it's doing Auto Import on the shares will simply pick up new material as it arrives.....yes?

Look forward to an update.

Cheers!

VP

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 01:26:59 pm »

To be frank!
MC is not an all in one product (at least for me - if you have things to suggest after this post, I'm wide open to hear!).
To clarify what I do through a client (my WHS is headless)
Music:
I have a temporary folder in a Pc, where i make all necessary tagging to the music files. I use Tag and Rename for this.
After the files are tagged, I copy the entire folder to the WHS where, MC  imports them in the library and LS, "publishes" them on the clients.
Photos:
I resize the photos to width x height (1920 x height) and then just copy the folders from the temporary folder to my WHS
I use the following folder structure (example):
\\Home Server\Photos\Resized\Nokia N95 8Gb
\\Home Server\Photos\Resized\Sony DCR-PC350E
\\Home Server\Photos\Resized\Leica Digilux
etc
but I also store the original pictures there (with their original resolution)
\\Home Server\Photos\Original\Nokia N95 8Gb
\\Home Server\Photos\Original\Sony DCR-PC350E
\\Home Server\Photos\Original\Leica Digilux
etc
This folder (\\Home Server\Photos\Original is not given to the library. It is only given for "duplication" to the WHS software.
Video:
I use "MyMovies collection Management" to tag the files, regardless they are DVD rips or, avi, or mkv files. Then Mc gets the tags from MyMovies files, stored in the same folder as the video files.

I woulld be glad to hear a simpler procedure...

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 10:23:24 am »

Here you can add:

\\My Server's name\Music

--

I followed the above procedure and it worked great. Only using it for music at this point.  I only have 1 client PC linked thus far, but it seems to be working. Later will set it up on a couple of others and try making changes to the library to confirm they are visible on all computers.

Thanks so much for the step by step instructions. I'm sure this saved me lots of time and frustration, and I'll bet for many others too. Really seems that this belongs in a WIKI or some form of instruction manual - not buried in a thread that may soon be unnoticed.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 10:40:44 am »

Really seems that this belongs in a WIKI or some form of instruction manual - not buried in a thread that may soon be unnoticed.
The wiki can be edited by anyone.  If you feel it's important, you can add it.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:33 am »

The wiki can be edited by anyone.  If you feel it's important, you can add it.

Have never done anything to a wiki, but am willing to learn  and do it.

YannisA, is it okay to plagarize your instructions and add them to the wiki? I can PM you with what I'll put in before posting it to the wiki. Or might it be better to do that here so others can have input? It will probably be Saturday before I have much time for this.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 09:33:56 am »

Thanks.  You'll need to register so you have a login and password.

Then log in and take a look at how the syntax works by finding a topic and editing it.   When you're done, there is a little math puzzle to solve (helps prevent bots making changes).

Once you want to add a topic, a simple way is to search for it first (caps and lower case matter), then choose "Add" (if it doesn't exist).

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »

YannisA, is it okay to plagarize your instructions and add them to the wiki? I can PM you with what I'll put in before posting it to the wiki. Or might it be better to do that here so others can have input? It will probably be Saturday before I have much time for this.

Rod

Rod,
please feel free to post everything you may think is useful for readers.
This is the advantage (and why not the privilege), of those participating in forums.
thank you,
Yannis

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 12:48:07 pm »

Boy am I embarrassed! I decided to take the time today to learn how to edit the Wiki and add the Library Server instructions from this thread. Well RTFM sure applies here. All of this info and much more on the Server is already there!

Rod

ttremeth

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 09:27:02 pm »

I found this forum by looking for DLNA-compliant server, especially for Windows Home Server.
= Tonky is rubbish - interface is poor and it has numerous issues.
= The built in one is ok but is very inflexible

Basically the addon just would need to be accessible from the console and run on win2003.

flac.rules

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 01:12:07 am »

I am still a bit confused as to the need of an add-on? Whats wrong with just installing the program and running it as a service? I have several normal programs installed on my WHS

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 04:30:48 am »

If you run it as a service you cant access the gui, meaning that you cant make changes to viewschemes etc.

If you run it as a normal user, then you have to manually start it up after WHS reboots.

An addin would be convenient.

flac.rules

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:31 am »

If you run it as a service you cant access the gui, meaning that you cant make changes to viewschemes etc.

If you run it as a normal user, then you have to manually start it up after WHS reboots.

An addin would be convenient.

Than why not install as a normal user, and put it in the startup-folder?

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:58 am »

Because you have to remotely login at least once to cause the startup items to actually load. That means that you have to remember to login after every windows update.

flac.rules

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 12:59:47 pm »

Because you have to remotely login at least once to cause the startup items to actually load. That means that you have to remember to login after every windows update.
I am sorry if im stupid here, but if you are never going to remotly log on, whats the problem with not having a GUI on the server-side? If you never login, why not run MC-server as a service and change views and so on on the client -side?

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 06:18:15 pm »

You can't edit views on a Library Server client. So you see that at the moment MC on WHS works the opposite way to how I want. I have to log in when I dont want to, to force MC server to load. I have to remote desktop in again to install updates. And then I have to remote login again whenever I want to edit my viewschemes.

Of course, it has become something of a routine now, but I must say that there was a learning curve for me to set up the remote desktop and then creating a new admin level user to handle my MC needs. Many users won't even bother and that's a shame for MC I think.

raldo

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:27 am »

You can't edit views on a Library Server client. So you see that at the moment MC on WHS works the opposite way to how I want. I have to log in when I dont want to, to force MC server to load. I have to remote desktop in again to install updates. And then I have to remote login again whenever I want to edit my viewschemes.

Of course, it has become something of a routine now, but I must say that there was a learning curve for me to set up the remote desktop and then creating a new admin level user to handle my MC needs. Many users won't even bother and that's a shame for MC I think.

It seems to me that these issues have more to do with server/client features than the existence of a WHS addon.

Those missing features have been a showstopper for me too. I'd really like to use my WHS system for a server but the issues regarding tagging (must actively update server), viewschemes (log on), and update issues (log on) are too much hassle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up