INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Products Page Ads  (Read 4002 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Products Page Ads
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

We're going to put up a new page in the next month, for products that work with MC.  There will be a modest monthly charge.

Anyone interested, please post here.

Thanks,

Jim

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Products Page Ads
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:04:32 am »

What sort of products are we talking about? Hardware (remotes, TV cards etc)? Distribution (audible, online vendors)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:36:05 am »

Third Party plug-ins, etc.
JRiver products
Anything else we, as a community, think should be there.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:49:00 am »

Sounds like an interesting idea... Will this replace the current plugins section of the site (which hasn't really been updated in a while)?

When you mention third-party plugins, does this include user-submitted content, or third-party commercial content (or both)? Any examples of anything you're looking at putting up there?

How will the pricing setup work? Per item? Global subscription?

Sorry, a lot of questions, and early days I know - but just a bit information-poor at the moment :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:31 am »

Subject to change ...

We'll provide a couple of months free so people can try it.  Then something like $50/month.  It's an ad that will link to a landing page provided by the vendor, but which is in a format that we specify.  For example, a picture, price, and type of trialware in a specified position.  From there it can link as needed.

We won't make it available unless we think the product has a following or will have one.

User-submitted plug-ins would be fine, but they would need to be commercial in nature or the monthly fee wouldn't make sense.

The products page will appear somewhere in the player.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:01:27 am »

it sounds interesting enough. not sure if 50$ a month is modest though.

and would it be something that is available for people outside the usa.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:07:14 am »

and would it be something that is available for people outside the usa.
I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:11:58 am »

it sounds interesting enough. not sure if 50$ a month is modest though.
How much do you spend on beer?  ;)

It's meant to be a little bit of a threshold to help select people or companies who are serious and products that have merit.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:16:27 am »

I'm all for anything which will promote users/third-parties creating things which will extend the program...

I only hope (selfishly) that many of the users who have created free skins/plugins so far don't decide to go completely commercial on us ;) Although there have been some I definitely would have paid for...

So, just to clarify, the vendor pays a monthly fee to advertise within the program, but only for products in some way related to MC? The implementation is free to the end-user?

gappie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:31 am »

lol.. i thought the fee was for users..   :o
and no, was not drinking beer.. yet. :)
guess then 50$ is not much.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:14:50 am »

So, just to clarify, the vendor pays a monthly fee to advertise within the program, but only for products in some way related to MC? The implementation is free to the end-user?
Probably.  The end user would pay whatever the vendor charged.  We would just provide the space to advertise.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 08:46:10 am »

In the context of how feasible it is to write commercial software based around MC, it'd be interesting to know the scope of such an enterprise, i.e. how many MC users are there, how visible/attractive would this "page within a player" be, and what are the stats on users regularly keeping up-to-date with new versions?

I can imagine many people checking this "page" once or twice then forgetting all about it, unless somehow they were forced to view it from time to time, which I'm sure would go down like a lead balloon  :-\

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59:17 am »

If the plugins that people are offering the MC community are free, I would let them advertise for free. They enrich the MC experience and create a buzz for the product in a way that most companies would pay real money for, so asking them to pay you seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face. They also extend MC in a way that saves you guys a lot of development time by not having to write those features yourselves.

Just my opinion.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 09:48:59 am »

If the plugins that people are offering the MC community are free, I would let them advertise for free. They enrich the MC experience and create a buzz for the product in a way that most companies would pay real money for, so asking them to pay you seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face. They also extend MC in a way that saves you guys a lot of development time by not having to write those features yourselves.
The Third Party board is currently available to people who do free plug-ins.  What we're doing with the products page is just a little more commercially oriented.

Maybe some of the people who've done free plug-ins will make the leap. 

dcwebman

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:18 pm »

Are there many third party commercial products out there that support MC?
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »

From memory...

Netremote
MusicLobby
Soundspectrum
DFX
Rivermote
Digibit
Audible

Music services from a number of companies, using the JRiver player.  Many listed here:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/partnerplayers.html

My apologies to anyone I've forgotten.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 08:00:23 pm »

The Third Party board is currently available to people who do free plug-ins.  What we're doing with the products page is just a little more commercially oriented.

Maybe some of the people who've done free plug-ins will make the leap. 

I see.

I was picturing something closer to the iphone app store or firefox addons site, where you could see a list of everything that everyone has made for use with MC. In which case, showcasing them all inside MC would be good for the user, good for the plugin developers to get exposure for their plugins, and good for the MC team to show its' "community" credentials.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 02:40:13 am »

I was picturing something closer to the iphone app store or firefox addons site, where you could see a list of everything that everyone has made for use with MC. In which case, showcasing them all inside MC would be good for the user, good for the plugin developers to get exposure for their plugins, and good for the MC team to show its' "community" credentials.

What he said.

raldo

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 02:05:00 pm »

Jim,

I think johnnyboy was thinking somewhat along these lines when he started the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53104.0 . Apple was just mentioned because of the business model...

So, Instead of ads, you have the possibility to download from within MC.

My additional suggestions:
o Give each user a certain number of goodwill points which she could distribute among the downloadable applications. You'll have a voting system which would benefit other users..
o Maybe JRiver could take a percentage premium of the donations/costs that the developer of the plugin/skin/etc. specifies?

I agree with the posts above that if a developer provides a plugin for free, JRiver should possibly also let the user expose his work for free. I'm not sure you'll see any free plugins on your ad pages otherwise...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 02:28:38 pm »

Thanks, Raldo.

Here's where our thinking is right now.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »

Great idea.

You mentioned that the products page will appear somewhere in the player. prod makes some good points. If it is in a place that requires the user to navigate to it, people may not look. At least not after initially checking it out. If you force them to look, they will get annoyed.

Maybe there is a way to be subtle. Like have an indicator on the main player that tells the user there are new listings on the product page. If you click on the indicator it links you to the products page and clears the 'new listing' status. My image is that this could be similar to unread threads in the forum. Just an idea.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 09:20:25 am »

Stick the link on the start screen :)
I've always thought that you could do more with this, this is a perfect fit.

-Leezer-

MrHaugen

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 03:10:27 am »

I like the idea. It's always been kind of hard to find the products and applications for MC.
What would be the best is to have a "user submitted" plugin part on that page as well. That way we'll have one place for all MC accessories. Would help the users a lot, and would also be positive for J River as the users find the whole MC, plug-in and app experience better. I keep stumbling upon great plug-ins and apps that I have never heard about before. Even though some have been around for years.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up