INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parts of song "repeat" during playback (UPDATE:Problem Fixed)  (Read 1757 times)

ken-l

• Recent member

This is not "skipping" although it can sound that way....the playback repeats a portion that has just played. When it first occured it was repeating a tiny portion over and over again so that it was stuck in that spot for some time before continuing.

I increased the Buffering to 4 seconds and the Pre-Buffering to 10 seconds. I've even tried Play from Memory Instead of Disk. The changes have not stopped the repeating, but have changed it from repeating a tiny amount to a much longer amount repeated. It is definitely not the files or any hardware or software issue with my system.

I have been using Media Center versions for years, and most recently was using 13. With 13 I had some early issues with playback that were handled by increasing the buffering.

Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Parts of song "repeat" during playback
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:45:15 pm »

What playback method are you using?  Directsound, Wave Out, ASIO, WASAPI?  Did you try another?

What OS?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:11:33 pm »

I get this behavior fairly consistently when doing a lot of tagging or other database updating activity. I've turned off any automatic background activities (such as Audio Analysis and Album Cover Lookup) and don't experience the symptoms without reasonable circumstances caused by my own actions. Usually I'm also encountered by GUI freeze at the same time. It seems somewhat easier to cause this to happen with v14, but I'll assume it to be a side effect of using a pre-release version until that's no longer the status.
-JB

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:36 pm »

I experienced the same thing at one point recently.  I think it was with memory playback turned on.  Stopping and restarting playback seemed to resolve the issue.

ken-l

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »

What playback method are you using?  Directsound, Wave Out, ASIO, WASAPI?  Did you try another?

What OS?

Thanks Jim. I'm running XP, this is the same system I ran prior versions with, and I'll try different output methods.

I get this behavior fairly consistently when doing a lot of tagging or other database updating activity. I've turned off any automatic background activities (such as Audio Analysis and Album Cover Lookup) and don't experience the symptoms without reasonable circumstances caused by my own actions. Usually I'm also encountered by GUI freeze at the same time. It seems somewhat easier to cause this to happen with v14, but I'll assume it to be a side effect of using a pre-release version until that's no longer the status.
-JB

Thanks JB. My laptop isn't the fastest system....but I've found that ANYTHING else that runs at the same time causes this and my other versions to behave poorly/badly......so I try not to. When my McAfee Security gets an update (which is every time I turn on my laptop to play music) Media Center suffers.

I experienced the same thing at one point recently.  I think it was with memory playback turned on.  Stopping and restarting playback seemed to resolve the issue.

Thanks. I've turned that on and off, and still get the issue. I may go back to 13 and wait for the next release of 14.....this has happened on both releases of 14 that I've tried.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:02:57 am »

I don't this is an MC14 problem.  The difference between MC13 and MC14 may be a setting.

Also, take a look at the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature for other ideas.  It may be your sound card driver.

Turn off your virus checker to test.

ken-l

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:46:15 am »

I don't this is an MC14 problem.  The difference between MC13 and MC14 may be a setting.

Also, take a look at the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature for other ideas.  It may be your sound card driver.

Turn off your virus checker to test.

Thank you Jim. My sound card is bypassed; I use a SoundBlaster USB device to interface for sound, and nothing has changed in my hardware or software, only the change from 13 to 14. I will check to make sure there isn't a setting that is different which is most likely the culprit. I'll also browse your Weird Problem thread!

Update: The Weird Problem Thread has post about defrag solving playback stuttering for a user - I will defrag and see if that makes a difference.

ken-l

• Recent member
No More Problem
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:26:29 pm »

Thanks for your help folks!
Okay, hopefully this issue is solved....I haven't had any skips/stutters etc during the time I've been listening.
Here are the settings that I'm using:

Output mode: Direct Sound

Output mode settings:
   Device: USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
   Channels: Default Channels
   Buffering: 3 seconds

DSP & output format: Source bit depth

Prebuferring: 6 seconds

Play files from memory instead of disk (Yes)
Pages: [1]   Go Up