INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating to the latest version of MC14 fails  (Read 1765 times)

Pjotr

• World Citizen
Updating to the latest version of MC14 fails
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:53:26 am »

Hi,

I am currently running MC14 v14.0.71 at my main PC and v14.0.61 at my EeePC located at my audio set.

I have set MC to automatic check for updates at start-up at the “Tools” page. And when I check manually for updates I get the message “No updates available at this time” on both PC’s. I have checked my fire wall and the are no entries that block MC.

How do I upgrade to the latest version (v14.0.84) without loosing my custom MC settings or renewal of my licence code? And what can be the cause the automatic updating is not working?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Updating to the latest version of MC14 fails
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:24 am »

You can just download it from the top of this board and install it.  Settings and license will not be affected.  No need to uninstall.

The version we recommend in the update process is always a little behind the builds available here.

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:46:59 am »

You can just download it from the top of this board and install it.  Settings and license will not be affected. 

One of the few software programs that updates FLAWLESSLY, one right after another.  I have NEVER experienced an update problem or lost so much as a single setting.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:41:43 am »

Thanks for the info and help.

But it would be nice if the auto/manual check points to the latest version. Saves the manual hassle of downloading and installing and that is for what it is intended I suppose.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:10:54 am »

Thanks for the info and help.

But it would be nice if the auto/manual check points to the latest version. Saves the manual hassle of downloading and installing and that is for what it is intended I suppose.
Managing versions is a lot more difficult than you might expect.  We don't want to push a version that has problems or that offers no significant improvements.

If you want the latest, and are willing to risk an error now and then, the version on the board is best.  If stability is the most important thing to you, use "check for updates".

alebena

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 07:25:30 am »

I have been trying to update to MC14 version .111 and it doesn't seem to install properly.  During the installation process it locks up.  Please any suggestions?  Also does the MC14 version .111 corrects the issues reading certain type of WAV files specially the Reference Recordings early release of thier 176.4KHz high resoultion audio DVD disk.

Thank You

Adrian :

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:01 am »

I have been trying to update to MC14 version .111 and it doesn't seem to install properly.  During the installation process it locks up.  Please any suggestions?  Also does the MC14 version .111 corrects the issues reading certain type of WAV files specially the Reference Recordings early release of thier 176.4KHz high resoultion audio DVD disk.
Are you using a SSD drive?  We saw a strange problem recently with one.   See this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54869.msg374998#msg374998

Let it run longer.  There are no known problems with the installer.  Security software on your PC may be doing something strange.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:20:28 am »

Security software on your PC may be doing something strange.

I would guess Anti-Virus applications as well.  However, one other problem could be if there is an issue with the Temp directories on your system.

You could try running CCleaner to clear up any cache and temp file problems you might have on the system and see if that helps.  CCleaner is a great (and free) utility that will clean up all of the "dreck" that accumulates on your hard drive and browsers over time.  One thing to be careful with it, though... By default it will delete all of the browser cookies on your system.  So, either disable these settings for your browser, or (better) go to the Options > Cookies part of the application and choose the specific cookies that you want CCleaner to keep (the websites you actually use and want them to keep you logged in and whatnot) and then let it delete the rest of the tracking cookies and stuff.

Also, when you run it for this purpose, you might want to try unchecking the setting under Options > Advanced called Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours.  If one of those files is corrupt and is preventing the MC installer package from extracting, you want to make sure you get EVERYTHING out of there.

You can get CCleaner here: http://www.ccleaner.com/

I actually wonder if that recent SSD problem wasn't actually a Temp file or Cache problem.  The error just didn't make a lot of sense that it could have been caused by the physical hardware in the SSD (which is, as far as the OS is concerned, no different from a spinning magnetic disk).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up