INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to get?  (Read 1836 times)

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
What to get?
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »

I want to get something that will stream MC from my HTPC to my living room TV(Movies, Music & Pictures). I do have an older computer and the TV has component it just has issues. I am looking at possibly popcorn hour or a PS3. Any advice?

Garry
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: What to get?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »

I prefer MC running on fairly decent machines.  The problem with all of these solutions is that they lack features MC has--and as MC gets upgraded, each and every release grates on my nerves as I wish I wasn't locked into some cheap (that's good) never-changing solution.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 06:31:52 am »

About a year ago I bought about 8 different streaming devices, one by one, and returned them all.  I ended up buying a PC and running an HDMI and a USB cable (USB for my IR remote receiver) up from the basement.  In most cases it was the user interface that I couldn't stand.  I have a gorgeous TV in a pretty nice living room and all of the solutions felt like they were 2nd rate walmart jobbies.

I didn't try popcorn hour or other media tanks because I had had such bad luck with every unit that I found in stores, and wasn't sure about returning a NMT.  (Likely could return it, but would probably lose shipping, etc).

That being said, I've always wondered how a NMT like popcorn hour would have worked out.  They sure seem awesome, powerful, and customizable.  If you do get one, let us know what you think.  

Next time I need to replace or upgrade I will definitely revisit them.  

benn600

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:04 pm »

About a year ago I bought about 8 different streaming devices, one by one, and returned them all.

I've contemplated doing that before!  Did you write up your results?  Of course your conclusion is basically what mine is.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »

No, I really should have written my 2 cents on a board somewhere... they were all promising, but all massively disappointing. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34:21 pm »

I tried 4 or 5 at home over the last couple of years and ended up going back to using a PC about 6 months ago.  I like it.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »

I tried 4 or 5 at home over the last couple of years and ended up going back to using a PC about 6 months ago.  I like it.

Going back to using a PC.  WHAT SOFTWARE YA usin' that ya like?

;D

benn600

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:54:04 pm »

I have tried several devices myself and am always sadly disappointed.  Again, MC is like a powerhouse device with upgradeable firmware--EXCEPT that it gets updated.  I think of all the devices I have and think: oh good, they'll keep making it better.  Of course they only update it for the devastating bugs.  Why don't they make a great device and just keep selling it/updating it.  Instead of making new devices all the time that are junk.  They try to start each device from zero to sixty each time with very little held over at each new device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up