INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Device shows up in Device Manager but not Control Panel Audio  (Read 2522 times)

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
Device shows up in Device Manager but not Control Panel Audio
« on: August 08, 2009, 06:08:55 pm »

I'm a long time user of 13 and now 14.

Running XP and Vista Ultimate.

On my XP unit all is fine.

On my Vista unit when I plug in my USB audio device (a device that converts from USB to spdif) it indicates that the device is working and that the drivers have installed successfully.  The device shows up in the Device Manager, and shows that it is working fine.

However, when I go to the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, I don't see the device listed.  Only the built in outboard sound card is listed.  (I already checked to make sure to check the options to show disabled and disconnected devices) and Similarly, in MC14 I don't ever see the option under Output Mode Settings to make the device my output device, I only see the built in sound card.  

This does not happen under XP with MC14.  I see the device in the MC14 Output Mode Settings options drop down box.

(I get the exact same problem with a different brand of outboard USB to spdif converter.  There's some Vista setting that I'm missing.  Both worked on a different Vista laptop running MC13.)

Suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Device shows up in Device Manager but not Control Panel Audio
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:21:32 pm »

Did you check the manufacturer's web site for drivers for Vista?

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:31:49 pm »

Yes.  It installs fine, and it worked fine with a different (Toshiba) laptop running Vista.

Other users of the same device have no problems getting it to work under Vista.  And I get the exact same problem with a different device with different drivers, so it's got to be the laptop.

There is some specific setting on my Dell Vista laptop causing this.  (I've already tried the hard restart Hail Mary to no avail.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:53:12 pm »

Try removing it from Control Panel/System/Device Manager and rebooting.

Try finding out what the manufacturer says about the problem.

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:33:36 pm »

Logitech installed a webcam driver for mic inputs that buries itself pretty deeply in the audio stack.  That newly installed driver was interfering with the outputs.

Quite a few people are having problems with this, with a wide array of input and output devices.  The flames on the message boards are ugly.

I don't use the webcam that came with my Dell, so I did a complete uninstall and all is ok again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »

Good detective work.  Thanks for reporting back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up