INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot import video files to library from one folder only  (Read 1503 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Cannot import video files to library from one folder only
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »

I have MC 14.0.46 running on two WinXP Pro computers.  I added some new video files into a newly-created folder on one computer.  MC correctly found and imported them into its library.  However, on the second computer, networked to the first, it will not import these files.  It works fine on the second computer from all other folders on the first computer. 

I tried auto import.  I tried to manually import just the affected folder.  I tried making a playlist on the first computer, exporting it to the second, and importing it there.  Nothing worked.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot import video files to library from one folder only
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

What file types?  Maybe you don't have the right DirectShow filters on the second PC.  If not, the files may have been imported as data on the 2nd PC.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:01:57 pm »

These are all .avi Xvid files, like most of my other video files. 

I found the problem, though.  It turns out that when you add a new subdirectory to a shared (with subdirectories) directory in WinXP, it does not share the new subdirectory.  When I reset the share properties, it then imported OK into the second computer's library.

I do still have one file, Xvid .avi, that will not import into either copy of MC.  It will not play in MC, although it will in Windows media player and several other players.  GSpot and MediaInfo say it's OK.  Remind me how to check the DirectShow filters?  I remember I had to play with that somewhat when I first installed MC, but haven't had to mess with it since.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:49:12 pm »

There is a DirectShow entry in our Wiki (link above).

In MC Tools/Options, search for DirectShow at the top.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

OK, I found that guide.  So far I've tried several different settings with no difference.  But I haven't exhausted the options yet.

I did notice that the file in question is in the library as a "document" which I assume is what used to be called "data".  When I double-click on it (in MC) it plays OK.  But it will not play if I "open with Media Center" from Windows Explorer.  Does this suggest anything about what the problem might be?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:03:08 pm »

You can change "Media Type" to video in the tag.  It was probably imported as data because MC couldn't find a filter for it.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:17:10 pm »

I changed the media type.  Now it shows up with the Video files and plays from within MC.

Thanx.
Pages: [1]   Go Up