INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import  (Read 2742 times)

davemccorkle

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Auto Import
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:09:56 am »

I loved the way MC11,12,13 all did auto import so that you can make your settings and then just run it.  Can you put that feature back so that we don;t have to select, import, auto-import and make sure of all the folders.  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto Import
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:22 am »

I think you can get the same thing in MC14.  MC will look for new media folders, but you can always stop it and do the search by pressing Finish.

Folders can be customized for media types.

Can you be specific about what you're missing?

davemccorkle

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:52:51 am »

It does do the importing it is just that you have to select import, auto-import, next, finish instead of just one click.  If we are importing tons of music it is just a pain.  The other thing is that after importing it used to automatically put us in the recently-imported folder, now i have to go and select it.  I know this is nit picking but I love the product and just wanted to point it out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:56:34 am »

You would normally either set it to auto-import and forget about it.  Or import a single folder. 

You can also right click on a folder in Explorer and import there.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:58:57 am »

It does do the importing it is just that you have to select import, auto-import, next, finish instead of just one click.  If we are importing tons of music it is just a pain.  The other thing is that after importing it used to automatically put us in the recently-imported folder, now i have to go and select it.  I know this is nit picking but I love the product and just wanted to point it out.

The UI, as you mentioned, is a little different when you manually kick off an import, but you can still set it up to automatically import.

Tools-->Options-->Library & Folders-->Options-->Run auto-import in background

If you set this option MC will monitor the folders you have set up. This will give you the behavior you remember (e.g. recently imported items are automatically imported). You probably forgot to set this option when you upgraded to MC14.

davemccorkle

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »

The auto-import does work but I kick off the auto-import a lot if i am adding a lot of music.  The recently imported would playlist would show up after the auto-import would happen.  I can always go and select it i just rememeber it automatically coming up

taklamakan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:13:55 pm »

I agree. This is a very unhelpful change.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:15:14 pm »

The auto-import does work but I kick off the auto-import a lot if i am adding a lot of music.  The recently imported would playlist would show up after the auto-import would happen.  I can always go and select it i just rememeber it automatically coming up

If you have the option set to Run auto-import in background you do not have to do anything. MC will monitor those folders for any changes and automatically import the changes.

taklamakan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:08 pm »

It will do that when it gets around to it.  I frequently want to force the matter when importing music. Running it manually lets you know when the process is done, then automatically shows you the just-imported files.  The loss of Run Auto-Import Now on the Tools is a backwards step for some of our workflows.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:34:34 pm »

It will do that when it gets around to it.  I frequently want to force the matter when importing music. Running it manually lets you know when the process is done, then automatically shows you the just-imported files.  The loss of Run Auto-Import Now on the Tools is a backwards step for some of our workflows.

I understand.

I'm not sure why they changed the approach to manually launch the auto-import. It now requires 5 mouse clicks to launch the process.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:41:44 pm »

The loss of Run Auto-Import Now on the Tools is a backwards step for some of our workflows.

Removing the command from the menu was not a great idea, but the command is still available as a toolbar item. So it's still just one click—without having to open a menu first. There's also a button for Recently Imported.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 12:41:50 pm »

Now that I understand your problem, I think I figured out a solution.

Instead of navigating through the tools menu option, you can customize your toolbar to add the run auto-import now link. This let's you initiate the process with 1 mouse click.

Tools-->Options-->Tree & View-->Advanced-->Customize toolbars--> SELECT Run Auto-Import Now

taklamakan

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:15 pm »

Thanks guys. Good point. Works for me.

rjm

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »

Now that I understand your problem, I think I figured out a solution.

Instead of navigating through the tools menu option, you can customize your toolbar to add the run auto-import now link. This let's you initiate the process with 1 mouse click.

Tools-->Options-->Tree & View-->Advanced-->Customize toolbars--> SELECT Run Auto-Import Now
woohoo! I'm a happy camper now. Thanks for the tip.

davemccorkle

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:15:49 am »

Perfect!  Problem Solved! 

Now one more thing.  Is there a way to make my views stay?  After I import and go to my recently imported files, I have to load my view every single time. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up