INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMA Files Won't Convert on Sync  (Read 1795 times)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
WMA Files Won't Convert on Sync
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:35:03 am »

I have a directory set up as a handheld so I can sync playlists to that directory. I wany only MP3s in that directory and not WMA files so i have set the Handheld\Conversion\Audio\Mode to "Always Convert". When syncing, MC tries to do the conversion, but none of the WMA files actually convert and I get an "Error" in the status column, which on later sync attemps changes to "In Queue" but these files never get converted. I have tries to use two different encoders, but the problem persists. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong.

I can provide additional details if you are unable to duplicate. Thanks.

P.S. What determines if a format is unsupported when setting the mode of audio conversion? I ask because in this case I am syncing to a directory that serves as a sourse for iTunes (which I have to use to sync my iPhone) and would like only to convert files that the iPhone can't play natively.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: WMA Files Won't Convert on Sync
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:29 am »

bump

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:37:43 am »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:24 am »

Is it possible you have DRM-protected WMA files?

It's not possible to convert DRM'd files.  

Years back we tried to argue that this should be allowed and just count the same as a CD burn.  We lost the argument.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:47:09 pm »

No, these are all non-DRM WMA files that I ripped myself.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:51:46 pm »

No, these are all non-DRM WMA files that I ripped myself.

I can't reproduce this.  Can you convert to MP3 using the 'Convert Format' tool?  Can you convert an APE, WAV, etc. to MP3?

Could you send me one of your WMA files (matt at jriver dot com)?  I'm wondering if they have 'Personal protection' (or whatever it's called) which was Microsoft's effort to add DRM to personal rips.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:09:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the WMA files, so I'd rather not waste your time looking at them right now. In trying to get some more information about what was going on, I went to try to manually convert format using the library tools option and found the option greyed out (when MC was running as a Library Server client). When not running as a library server client those option were not greyed out and the conversion worked just fine. I suspect this is the problem I was having when trying to convert files when syncing (i.e. that I was connected a to the Library Server)

Is there a reason conversion is not supported for locally available files when connected to Library Server?

Also, per my prior post, what determines if a format is unsupported when setting the mode of audio conversion?
Pages: [1]   Go Up