INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filename: Unknown Artist Unknown Album  (Read 1169 times)

dacer

Filename: Unknown Artist Unknown Album
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:19:22 pm »

I rip a lot of CDs by local artists where all of the tag information has to be keyed in.  Generally, after I key the data MC properly indexes the Artist, Album and individual song/track.  When I look in Windows Explorer, all of these CDs are listed under Unknown Artist.  The Artist and Album are listed properly (except for a few early ones before I learned how to enter tags properly).  However, the individual songs/tracks are listed as "Unknown Artist -Track X(Y)" where y represents which of the number of "Unknown Artist- Track X"s this track happens to be. 

I also access these some of these files with Transcribe, among other programs, as I attempt to learn to play some of them.  It is very difficult to find the correct song when it is identified as "Unknown Artist - Track X." 

How do I get MC to properly identify the tracks in their file names when there is no meta data with the CD and I have to key it in?  Also, is there any automated way to move these files to the correct subdirectory for their albums or do I need to drag and drop them?

Thanks,

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Filename: Unknown Artist Unknown Album
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:31:27 pm »

Right click any files you'd like to fix the names for.
Select Library Tools -> Rename, Move & Copy Files...

This opens a wizard that you can use to rename your files, using your field tags (such as [Artist], [Name], [Album], etc). You can get some very consistent/useful results by carefully putting together the expression into the directory and filename fields.
Try it with a few before you try with all/many.

-JB

dacer

Re: Filename: Unknown Artist Unknown Album
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »

Thanks bunglemebaby.  I tried it with one file first and then with the rest of the CD.  Moved it with no problem.  It took a second step to rename the track but that might be because I was afraid to click multiple steps at one time.  I'll go back to one file and try both moving and renaming at the same time.  Regardless, it worked like a champ.  I have spent hours trying to find that command.  I really appreciate your help.

Now I can clean up these CDs without the metadata and correct my errors from early on.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up