INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Radio streams - playing through wrong sound device  (Read 2566 times)

jack_knowle

• Recent member
Internet Radio streams - playing through wrong sound device
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:36 am »

I'm having a problem with the playback of internet radio stations live streams.  Once I've added the new stream URL to the "Connected Media" section and I select it, that all seems to work ok.  However, the audio doesn't play through my default sound card.  My audio setup is as follows:

For my audio library I have the output device set up for ASIO to a EMU 1212M PCI sound card.  The audio for DVD and video file playback is selected for the HDMI output of the graphics card, so that plays through the speakers of the TV which is hooked up to the HDMI output.

So usually my music will play through the EMU soundcard and when watching DVDs the sound will play through the TV.

My problem with the internet radio streams is that they play through the TV (HDMI) instead of the EMU sound card.  I've looked over the settings in Media Center but can't find any solution.  I even created a new zone where all audio was pointed to the EMU sound card but it still played through the HDMI.

Am I missing something or is this a current limitation with Media Center?  I'm considering using something like Virtual Audio Cable to route the audio to EMU card outside of MC, but I'm not keen on that software and would prefer to do it all within MC.

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry, should have mentioned that OS is Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.

jack_knowle

• Recent member
Re: Internet Radio streams - playing through wrong sound device
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:14:21 am »

After spending some more time setting up internet radio live streams, I can provide a bit more information (now I understand the use of live streams in MC a little better).  The problem only occurs when using "browser based" stream players (the flash players etc. that some websites provide).  If I manage to find the mp3 or windows media stream for a station and add this as directed (File, Open URL, add to playlist etc.) then when playing those streams they work ok.  When I look at the EMU soundcard DSP console I can see that those streams are playing through ASIO, just as I want.
However, the streams that I can't add to playlists (because the website only provides a flash or similar player) I have to play through the Audio\Connected Media view.  I'm wondering if this only plays through the Windows default sound device as it's only a browser interface within MC.

If my assumption is correct, is it not possible to play these "browser based" streams through the selected sound card?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:07:56 pm »

I've read this, but can't help.   Sorry.

jack_knowle

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:05:52 am »

I've read this, but can't help.   Sorry.

Anyone else have any thoughts?  I'm still not sure if there is a problem with my setup or if this is the intended function of the "Connected Media" view.  I took a look at the Wiki but it seemed to relate more to earlier versions of MC, so I didn't find any answers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:20:03 am »

If my assumption is correct, is it not possible to play these "browser based" streams through the selected sound card?

That's correct.  We have no control over the audio coming off a webpage.

You can use Media Center to switch the default soundcard with a keyboard shortcut or remote button, but I don't know if that's really what you're looking for:

14.0.37 (07/21/2009)
NEW: Added new command /SoundcardSwitch to the launcher (MC14.exe) to allow changing the default soundcard on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jack_knowle

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:42:20 am »

Thanks Matt,
At least I know it's nothing I'm doing wrong!  Of your two suggestions for switching the default sound, I don't think the launch command would be much use to me, but can the keyboard shortcut be used when MC is running, to change sound cards on the fly?  Where do I set up the keyboard shortcut or remote button (a wiki link or similar would do, thanks)?
I've been really pleased with the radio streaming in MC, I just wish all the live stations would provide asf or mp3 streams instead of forcing me to use the browser (maybe there's another way but I don't know of one).  I hardly listen to those stations now, their loss...

I know that when a stream is interrupted then MC will move to the next in the playlist.  Is it possible to change that behaviour so that it remains on the broken stream?  I also notice that if I've stopped MC playing a stream then go back later and press play again, it goes to the first stream in the playlist instead of continuing with the last played.

I have to say I'm really pleased with MC14, it's been able to do almost everything I've asked of it.  One thing I need to get to grips with is my folder of various mp3 files which always seem to end up in multiple identical album names in the library (I think this may have been covered before, I need to read up).
Just getting the last few days from my free trial before I commit to a purchase!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up