INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repeat Playing Now setting doesn't work if there is only one track  (Read 1463 times)

zuiko

• Recent member
Repeat Playing Now setting doesn't work if there is only one track
« on: September 07, 2009, 02:32:51 pm »

The "Repeat Playing Now" setting works fine if I have 2 or more tracks in the current view (I use panes for playback if that matters). But if I only have one track in there it stops playing and does not repeat. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround for it? It did not do this in V13. This is a new issue in V14.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Repeat Playing Now setting doesn't work if there is only one track
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 02:48:03 pm »

There is an option for "Repeat Current Item".

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »

Yes but I do not want to have to constantly change the playback mode depending on whether I have 1 or more item selected. That is pretty horrible from a UI perspective. I want it to repeat what I currently have selected. I don't want it to stop just because I have less than 2 tracks currently selected. And I don't want to have to fiddle with the playback mode every time I change folders. It makes no sense that it works this way. It didn't in 13.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:30:31 pm »

It's a feature! Was changed in MC 13. Here is the change log abstract (including short statement):

13.0.158 (04/24/2009)
[...]
21. Changed: "Repeat Playing Now" no longer loops when there is only a single file in Playing Now.  This way, repeat can be left on but not cause television, DVD, etc. playback to loop.  "Repeat Current Item" can be used to repeat a single file.
[...]

Full thread here.

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:05:26 am »

So it was an intentional change... anyone have any idea why this change was made? Why would anyone want now playing to not repeat except when there are 2 or more tracks? Seems to me that it would be far more likely that people would want now playing to repeat no matter how many tracks are in there (as it did in 13). Any chance this could be changed back? Or an option added to retain the old functionality (though that seems unnecessary to me)? I would hate to go back to 13 and never be able to upgrade again just because of this one "bug fix," but it is a major annoyance when it comes to music playback. I found another post made by someone else about it the same day (though he didn't know why it wasn't repeating playback) so I am not alone on this.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:02:54 am »

[...] anyone have any idea why this change was made? Why would anyone want now playing to not repeat except when there are 2 or more tracks? [...]

The reason is in the changlog I gave:
[...] This way, repeat can be left on but not cause television, DVD, etc. playback to loop.  "Repeat Current Item" can be used to repeat a single file. [...]

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:10:53 am »

Can we have it work differently for music? I guess it's nice that it doesn't repeat while watching a video but it sure is bad for listening to music. Especially since you aren't necessarily even going to be looking at the UI to mess with it if you are playing music. Overall I think this minor thing is a very negative change to the product. The way this worked in 13 was much better (and more intuitive). I'm not sure how changing to "no repeat" just once at the beginning of video playing session is such a problem but having to fiddle with the playback mode every time you change songs is a feature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »

In a coming build:
Changed: Tweaked the 'Repeat Playlist' mode so that it will loop on a single audio file but won't loop on a single image or video.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 03:26:45 pm »

That is totally and completely awesome... thanks a ton.
Pages: [1]   Go Up