INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning CD's  (Read 1323 times)

Megasoid

• Recent member
Burning CD's
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:48:22 pm »

I'm having a problem burning cd's. I can add crossfade effects and volume leveling and it adds these things to the discs OK, but when it actually starts to burn the disc I get error messages like 'failed to initialize' or it will burn 2 or 3 tracks and then stop burning and give me an error message. Any ideas?? Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Burning CD's
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:54:40 pm »

Try slowing the burn down.

Try another drive if you can.   Drives sometimes go bad.

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 03:54:56 pm »

How do I adjust the burn speed on JRM. I deleted the JRM and downloaded a new version, and still I'm only able to add effects to burn cd's but the JRM fails before I get all the tracks burned. This happens every 3rd cd or so. Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:53:02 pm »

Try slowing the burn down.

Try another drive if you can.   Drives sometimes go bad.

While I have had one drive go bad on me (out of probably 50 that I've owned), I find that it is far more common for the cabling on the drive to go bad, particularly with old Parallel IDE cabling (the flat, ribbon cables).  These are extremely prone to failure, and I've had more than one failed cable drive me nuts until stumbling on the solution.

SATA cables are now far more robust, but the connectors are still fairly prone to failure. 

So... The moral of the story is, if you think you might have a bad optical drive, try replacing the IDE cable first!  If you're still on Windows XP, also checking to make sure Windows hasn't turned off DMA access and restricted the drive to PIO mode is also always a good idea, as that'll cause burning problems galore: http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-back-to-dma-mode-in-windows-xp
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Megasoid

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:53:31 am »

Thanks for that info. I finally figured out how to change the burn speed of cd's. Just click on the drive in 'burn options' and you can change the speed of the burn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up