INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transcoding m4a with ffdshow  (Read 2623 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Transcoding m4a with ffdshow
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:57:14 am »

Hiya guys,

I upgraded from MC12 to MC14 recently and I have a bunch of m4a files (all unprotected, some lossless) leftover from my detour in itunes  :o

I want to transcode them to mp3 (and save the originals in backups). However, I'm having some trouble getting them converted. they all play with the default settings but won't convert. I've read and searched the forums and found some help on how to setup directshow for MC12 but it's not helping. What I don't understand is that for playing it has to effectively decode to uncompressed wave so why it won't even convert to that is beyond me.

I completely deinstalled iTunes and everyting related and installed a recent version of ffdshow and configured it to decode m4a/aac.

To configure MC14, I go to Tools, Options, File Type. From there I select AAC Audio (m4a/aac) and switch over to JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter).
Source Filter: automatic
Other Filters: ffdshow Audio Decoder; JRiver Bitrate Monitor Filter.

When I Click configure from here I do get the proper ffdshow properties screen. When I try to play with these settings I get the fololowing error:

Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location.

Error details:
DirectShow: Failed to play D:\Music\3 Doors Down\Away From The Sun\01 When I'm Gone.m4a. You may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play.
Please install appropriate filters and try again.

Hopefully someone can help me get the proper settings so I can decode these files to wav or transcode them in one go. Either way is fine by my as long as they retain the tags. It's the primary reason I'm not decoding with an external program.

Thanks in advance :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transcoding m4a with ffdshow
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:21:31 am »

Our wiki has some information that might be useful:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support

I believe you need to install a filter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:49 am »

Most likely, the files that failed are lossless.  FFDShow can not handle Apple Lossless.  You need a filter that can handle Apple lossless format.  Installing DC-Bass source filter should fix that.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:49:38 pm »

Awesome!

DC-Bass works like a charm! Deinstalled Ffdshow first since I don't need it for anything else.

it now plays, converts and analyzes those silly Apple files  :P

Thanks Yaobing!

helpme

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:19:52 pm »

I have a similar problem, the m4a files play but don't convert. This is an issue for loading handhelds or using the upnp server.

I have installed DSP-worx   

How do i configure MC14 to use DSP-works for these m4a files ?

helpme

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:25:25 pm »

OK, please ignore my question. I have figurs it out and it is now working fine.

Thanks for the original answer on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up