INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sansa SD Card Sync Problems  (Read 4080 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Sansa SD Card Sync Problems
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:58 pm »

I've got a Sansa e200 with a fairly recent rev of Rockbox running on it. I'm able to sync as expected with the regular internal Sansa storage, but when trying to sync to the external SD card MC always acts as if everything set to delete from the card is not actually going to be deleted. This gives me an XXMB over capacity message even if the only thing in the sync list is a 50MB album (2GB SD card).

I've checked all of the settings and hit the 'recheck sync' button, but nothing seems to work. This has been happening since I added the SD card 2 months ago or so. I have yet to figure out a work around, short of deleting everything manually via Explorer and then ignoring MC's warnings about not everything transferring. This method works, but is very short of idea, especially since can only get a general idea of how much space I've got remaining on the card when adding music to it.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of something to try? Any help or pointers will be very appreciated...

Thanks,
JB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sansa SD Card Sync Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:03:01 am »

No good ideas, but a wild guess...

Files are read only?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:21:58 am »

I haven't tried it with a sd card yet but I'd since it shows up as another drive in explorer I'd guess it'd have to be synced separately, is that what you are doing??

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:22:14 am »

The files are not read-only. When I delete them in Explorer I don't get any warnings about deleting read-only files.

The external card shows up as a second syncable device within Media Center. When I plug it in, I see the two devices as Rockbox Internal Memory and Rockbox External SD Card (or something similar to that). I sync the two as separate operations.

So for whatever reason, the behavior is different between the internal and external memory. It's as though MC thinks it has deleted the files (they don't show up in the sync list if I specifically select all files and delete them from within MC), but is still aware of the space they are taking up on the device.

If I have time later, I'll check to see if the behavior is different when trying to sync with the Sansa firmware active instead of the Rockbox. I don't remember having this issue with my Sansa c200, where the sd card used to reside.

-JB

(my apologies on posting this in the main forum...wasn't thinking...)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:44:38 pm »

Is it possible the SD card's directory structure has gotten damaged? Try doing a chkdsk on it in explorer.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »

Chkdsk found no problems.
I also tried syncing with the Sansa firmware and did not encounter the issue. I'll do a search on the Rockbox forums to see if there have been similar issues.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:45:16 am »

What size is your SD card?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:30:23 pm »

The card is 2GB.

I couldn't find any mention of issues with SD cards on the rockbox forum or manual. I haven't had time to sign up and post for help/ideas there yet.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:50:18 pm »

I just put a 2g SD card in my E250. Works fine. The only weird thing was since I'd been testing other rockbox devices on the same drive letters and I'd made some option changes, the sd card showed up twice in the list (so I had three devices showing up the in the tree). I did the "remove and ignore" right click option on the obviously wrong device and everything was fine.

There is one thing I've never figured out about rockbox (on the sansa anyway). When I put new music files on it they don't show up in the database until I turn the sansa off and on again. Then the database rebuilds. When I added the SD card, I had to do it twice! I'm guessing the first time rockbox was rebuilding the database based on the music on the internal memory and the second time it rebuilt based on the music on the sd card.

Even on the ipods running rockbox, I get a similar behavior, I have to turn the device off and back on again to get it to see the new stuff I've added (but just once). I have checked the option to automatically rebuild the database in rockbox but it doesn't seem to make a difference. My music is stored in /Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[File]

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »

Oh yeah, check in explorer (tools->folder options->view) that the "show..." option is set for "hidden files and folders" for the folder(s) on the SD with the music in them. IIRC when you enter the sansa native firmware it will set those folders to hidden.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 11:01:34 am »

I have to turn the device off and back on again to get it to see the new stuff I've added
This is normal behavior for Rockbox. I don't know anything about why, but the device always needs to be restarted before the database will finish rebuilding. It's the documented process. I spent a little while looking into that one the first time I used it and went "why didn't anything change?"

The external card does not have any folders hidden and "show hidden files and folders" is checked. The internal memory does have directories hidden (and viewable).

I did notice that the external card only has the MUSIC folder. It doesn't have JRInfo.xml or JRState.xml (along with a few other files that are at the root of the internal device). Could this cause any problems?
Pages: [1]   Go Up