INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why can't I position Playing now at the top?  (Read 1595 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Why can't I position Playing now at the top?
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:48:59 am »

OK, I admit it. I haven't had time for anything related to computers except for work and the occasional movie the last half year or so...  :-[ But now I'm going to upgrade to MC 14 on all media servers, the carputer and a few other select pc's. And there's one thing that has been there since MC12 (or was it 11?) that I still don't like one bit because I'm very set in my ways and stubborn and really don't want to change the way I use anything (which is why I'm still using M$ Office 2003, but I digress). I always prefered Playing now on the top of the list. I know this has been an issue for a while, but I have a problem because I can't give up flogging a sleeping dog...or something like that.  ;) So how about it?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
Re: Why can't I position Playing now at the top?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:35:06 am »

I think this topic was posted awhile back and discussed here : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52351.0

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:38:00 am »

Yeah, and like every other thread about that it sort of spirals off in another direction and then dies a slow death... ;) So I gather it's still impossible. :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:08:24 am »

I can't promise anything on this.  Sorry.

We have discussed a solution.  That's about all I can say. 

You could add a Playing Now button to the menu bar.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 07:38:14 am »

Thanks, I have done that. It's just that I really, really, really liked the way it was (with PN at the top). But I must say that what I've seen so far of 14 looks great! I'm really looking forward to test the new headphone DSP, since the two rear zones in the carputer are headphones for the kids. Also I like that it's even more configurable than before. Great work, guys! :D

MusicHawk

Why does Playing Now auto-expand its submenu, and why the items on the submenu?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »

+1 for the request, and I've already added Playing Now as a toolbar button. As discussed, the full solution would be the ability to almost fully customize the menu items and positions.

One oddity of the Playing Now mode that when it is clicked, the Playing Now menu branch always expands to show two options I never would use while Playing Now: Find CD and Artist Info. They mess up the tree, pushing more useful items further down, and it's never user-friendly to add clutter to the UI, especially in playback mode which is most-likely to be used by less technical family members.

Even odder, these appear when I do NOT click on Playing Now. My playback PC is set to automatically switch to Playing Now when clicking on a playlist/smartlist to play it -- and that causes these two menu options to get revealed.

Of course, these options can be useful, but during list playback? They aren't really options of Playing Now, they are just things to do with a track in MC. I'd guess they are used 99% when working on the library, reviewing, tagging, etc. Why force them to display every time Playing Now is selected?

A much more useful Playing Now submenu would have the options that actually affect playback, such as which visualization/track info, which plugin/DSP modes to use, etc. These options are buried in other menus, yet they are what I most need to diddle while Playing Now. (Please, even if these options are added as the Playing Now submenu, don't have it auto-expand.)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:02 am »

One oddity of the Playing Now mode that when it is clicked, the Playing Now menu branch always expands to show two options I never would use while Playing Now: Find CD and Artist Info. They mess up the tree, pushing more useful items further down, and it's never user-friendly to add clutter to the UI, especially in playback mode which is most-likely to be used by less technical family members.
This bothered me too, until I figured out that both of these can be turned off entirely. This doesn't help if you do want to use them sometimes, but it sounds like you really don't. I'm not at MC now, but both can be turned off either under Options>General?>Features or else under the plugins menu.
Both of these can also be replaced by links up in the links bar if you do like the feature. A wikipedia link for the Artist Info and an Amazon or CDBaby or wherever you like to purchase music online for the Find CD.

Of course, these options can be useful, but during list playback? They aren't really options of Playing Now, they are just things to do with a track in MC. I'd guess they are used 99% when working on the library, reviewing, tagging, etc. Why force them to display every time Playing Now is selected?
A much more useful Playing Now submenu would have the options that actually affect playback, such as which visualization/track info, which plugin/DSP modes to use, etc. These options are buried in other menus, yet they are what I most need to diddle while Playing Now. (Please, even if these options are added as the Playing Now submenu, don't have it auto-expand.)
Good point.

Oh, and I'll add another +1 to the customizing that tree on the left so that these guys can move Playing Now to the top.

-JB

Did somebody say something about threads devolving off into random mildly-related directions??

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:00:35 pm »

I always look for Playing Now at the top too. +1
Pages: [1]   Go Up