INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD aspect ratio is wrong ...  (Read 1703 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
DVD aspect ratio is wrong ...
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:52:06 pm »

I'm considering upgrading to MC14, but I'm finding problems similar to MC13 in that I cannot get DVD playback to show the correct aspect ratio.  That is, why would playing AVIs present correctly and DVD playback to be crunched vertically?  I have the 'Directshow video playback options' set to 1:1.33 which is correct for 16:9 AVIs on my plasma, but this setting seems to have no affect for DVD playback(?)  I must be missing something(?)

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: DVD aspect ratio is wrong ...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »

...(?)  I must be missing something(?)

... anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:51 pm »

When you play a DVD, I believe you can right click on the screen to change the aspect ratio.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:21:48 am »

Right-click and check what filters AVI & DVD are using, I'd suggest they will be different.

You may want to try different renderers too, I found the Enhanced didn't work well on one machine and VMR7 worked better with getting the coorrect aspect ratio.

Richard

shAf

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:01:50 am »

When you play a DVD, I believe you can right click on the screen to change the aspect ratio.

Right-clicking the display offers display resolution options, but not aspect ratio ( ... unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion?)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 12:23:02 pm »

Right-clicking the display offers display resolution options, but not aspect ratio ( ... unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion?)

DVD playback normally keeps DVD's aspect ratio. 

The only option available for DVD would be - Right-click, DVD Options, Crop Black Bars.  It may not help, but try it anyway.

I have the 'Directshow video playback options' set to 1:1.33 which is correct for 16:9 AVIs on my plasma,

The fact that you had to choose 1:1.33 in order to display 16:9 suggests that you may have set up your plasma monitor resolution wrong.  Try choosing a resolution that matches the 16:9 ratio.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

shAf

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:11:55 pm »

The fact that you had to choose 1:1.33 in order to display 16:9 suggests that you may have set up your plasma monitor resolution wrong.  Try choosing a resolution that matches the 16:9 ratio.

Thanx for you response!

Before I begin playing with a number of optional permutations, let me ask if the fact that my plasma's resolution impies pixels not square might change your suggestion.  That is, the spatial res for this 16:9 plasma is 1024x768 (implies 4:3).  I also presume you're talking about my display being "setup wrong" within MC14 ... ie, if it were a Windows XP configuration problem, both AVI and DVD playback would wrong(?)

shAf

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 01:33:05 pm »

DVD playback normally keeps DVD's aspect ratio.  

The only option available for DVD would be - Right-click, DVD Options, Crop Black Bars.  It may not help, but try it anyway. ...

The "Crop black bars" option worked ...

EDIT:  Oops!! ... crop black bars only zooms ... it does not change the aspect ratio!  The DVD display is still squashed vertically.

Regarding display resolution options, I see nothing but 4:3 options offered.  I wonder if MC isn't assuming my display is 4:3 from the native display resolution(?)  The other mystery is that choosing different display aspect rations does nothing for DVD playback, while it does change for AVI playback.  I have a feeling it's a filter option that I'm looking for, but there are so many ...

Let me emphasize again that AVIs play perfectly with MC, and I should also mention that the DVD player I've been using for years works also properly ... but I would like for MC to play all my video files ...

shAf

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »

Right-click and check what filters AVI & DVD are using, I'd suggest they will be different.
Please be a bit more explicid regarding where I'd find these options ... ie, I cannot seem to find playback options for AVI v. DVD in any one location(?)

You may want to try different renderers too, I found the Enhanced didn't work well on one machine and VMR7 worked better with getting the coorrect aspect ratio.

I tried the VMR7 option, and didn't see any change ...  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up