INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Tagging Issue  (Read 1494 times)

pbi

• Recent member
Cover Art Tagging Issue
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:53 am »

I am cross-posting this from the Media Center 13 forum, as I have tried installing Media Center 14 as a fix to the issue described below, but have not had any luck.

Hi,

I've done a search on the forums for this topic, but haven't had any luck, so if I've missed an existing string, my apologies.

I recently upgraded to a new computer with Vista 64. I have loaded my copy of Media Center 13, imported my libraries, etc.  In the main, the program is working fine, but I have started to encounter a frustrating error.

Specifically, if I use the Add Cover Art functionality, the cover art thumbnail doesn't appear.  Instead, at the bottom of the screen it says how many tag changes are remaining, and hangs.  (For example, it might say "Saving Tag Changes (11 Remaining)", but unlike when I had Media Center on my old XP machine, the number of files with tag changes doesn't count down to zero.)  If I close the program, I get an error that says "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files.  Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by another progam."  It also lists all of the files to which I was trying to add cover art, and indicates that they are locked. 

Oddly, I do not encounter this problem if I delete cover art - only if I add it or change it.  Finally, if I re-open Media Center, the cover art is now in place, so it appears that in order to get the cover art to attach to a file, I have to shut down the program.

I've tried everything I can think of - checking to make sure that all of the files are not marked read-only, that I have ownership of them, etc., but nothings works.  It's almost as if Media Center is blocking itself from making tag changes, so that when I close it, it gets out of its own way and processes the files tags.

Anyone have any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover Art Tagging Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:41 am »

I have seen odd things like this happen when Explorer had the same directory open.  They go away if you close Explorer.

pbi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:33:24 am »

JimH,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortuntately, I haven't had Windows Explorer open at the same time when this occurs. 

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:09:42 pm »

Anti Virus scanner feeling the need to check/block file updates?
I don't let my AV scan or do anything with my media drive.  Causes slowdowns and glitches when doing operations that update lots of tags.

pbi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:25:46 pm »

Possible, I suppose - I'll certainly check it out - but I haven't had any problem with my AV with regard to editing other files.  I'm also confused by the fact that the cover art update fails, but then runs when Media Center is shut down.  It would seem to me that if the AV was blocking files edits, it would always block them, and not just when Media Center is open.

My suspicion is that there is some other program placing a claim on the media files, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is...

pbi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:46 pm »

I feel like somewhat of an idiot for only thinking of this now, but if I use the "run as an administrator" option when I launch Media Center, the problem goes away.  An easy fix, but not one on which I found any documentation...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:45:51 am »

Is it an old XP drive?  It sounds like it might be Windows permissions for the files, or the directory.

pbi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:09 am »

It's an external Western Digital drive that I originally used with my old XP machine.  Before thinking of the "Run as Administrator" option, however, I did everything I could to open permissions on the files, but nothing worked.  I think you're probably right about it being a permissions issue, but I'm less certain about how that relates to XP versus Vista...
Pages: [1]   Go Up