INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Choppy Playback  (Read 2732 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
DVD Choppy Playback
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:18:13 pm »

I'm getting stuttering/slow playback of my DVD's (actual discs, not ripped VOB's). I assume the issue is with my DirectShow setup, but I've had no luck with switching through filters. Previously playback was fine with "Automatic" as my decoder choices. I haven't changed any part of my A/V software, codecs, etc recently.

I have CCCP installed, and I've got Cyberlink/PowerDVD installed.

DVD playback is pristine from PowerDVD, but I get the stuttering/slow playback in both MC and WMP.

When choosing my decoders/renderer in DVD config I get a "It appears your system is not configured for DVD playback. Get Intervid DVD XPack" message when choosing ffdshow. Since PowerDVD plays back fine, I selected it under the vid/audio decoders, but I get no change in playback results. My only other decoder option is Gabest MPC, but it yields the same results.
For video renderer I've tried Haali VR, VMR9 and auto with the same results.

I've searched the wiki DirectShow and DVD entries and scoured the forums, but all seem to point back to the things that I've tried so far. I've also looked through CCCP documentation and played with seemingly applicable settings there. I've done a fresh uninstall/reboot/reinstall for CCCP.

Any pointers here? I'm fairly befuddled at this point.

Thanks,
Jonathan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD Choppy Playback
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:58 pm »

Try something other than PowerDVD.  I've had trouble with their filters.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »

My only installed options are ffdshow and Cyberlink though. I've cut out anything extraneous in an effort to not have codec conflicts. Is there something I'm overlooking?

I would try uninstalling the PowerDVD to see if that cleared the problem, but it came as part of a Dell installation pack, so I have to reinstall a whole garbage pile if I wind up needing the Cyberlink codecs. From reading through the forum it seems like ffdshow isn't that great of a DVD decoder, so I'll probably need something else.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:36 pm »

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:45 am »

Simply install Dscaler5 and select it under Options - Playback - DVD playback decoder. It's one of the best and fastest decoders.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:42 pm »

Simply install Dscaler5 and select it under Options - Playback - DVD playback decoder. It's one of the best and fastest decoders.
Thanks for the suggestion, but this (and everything else I've tried) is failing to help.
When I change the Decoders, I've noticed that the video/audio quality and symptoms don't change, AT ALL, between the decoders. Is there a way to check that the selected decoders are actually being used? (The same goes for the vid renderer selections.)
Also, I tried uninstalling Cyberlink since I really don't want to use it anyway. This, likewise, didn't change a thing.

I read up some more on the wiki page, but it hasn't helped to further my understanding of this particular problem.

I'm officially lost at this point. Other suggestions?

-JB

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:26:50 pm »

Did you try uninstalling PowerDVD and rebooting?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:30:00 pm »

Did you try uninstalling PowerDVD and rebooting?
Yes.

The only other thing related to this that I haven't done is reinstalling the other DVD decoders after uninstalling PowerDVD. Would this probably be helpful?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, but this (and everything else I've tried) is failing to help.
When I change the Decoders, I've noticed that the video/audio quality and symptoms don't change, AT ALL, between the decoders.

Did you check to make sure that your selected decoder is actually in use?

While playing, right-click and choose "DirectShow Filters" to show what filters are actually being used.  You can also copy the info and paste it here by choosing "Copy graph info to clipboard".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:33:49 pm »

Did you check to make sure that your selected decoder is actually in use?
It appears that DScalar is in fact in use. I've pasted the graph info below in case somebody else already knows how to make sense of it. Are there supposed to be so many "extra pieces" in there besides the DScalar portions?
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Out' of filter 'DScaler Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
        CLSID: {51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A}
        Input Pin 'VMR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'VMR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'VMR Input2'

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~CC' of filter 'DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'VMR Input1' of filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo

Filter 'DScaler Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {D2CA75C2-05A1-4915-88A8-D433F876D186}
        Host: C:\Program Files\DScaler5\MpegAudio.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Audio Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {F8904F1F-0371-4471-8866-90E6281ABDB6}
        Host: C:\Program Files\DScaler5\MpegVideo.dll
        Input Pin 'Video In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Input Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'VMR Input0' of filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin '~CC'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Audio In' of filter 'DScaler Audio Decoder'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video In' of filter 'DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO

Since the various decoders have been producing the same results, I would start to wonder if this was a hardware issue if I hadn't gotten good playback results using PowerDVD. Is there anything else I'm overlooking here?

Thanks again for the help so far. Digital video is down right confusing to the uninitiated...
-JB

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:05:25 pm »

Are there supposed to be so many "extra pieces" in there besides the DScalar portions?

Video renderer is another variable.  You are using Video Mixing Renderer 9 (VMR9).  You can try other video renderers.

Turning bitrate monitor off may not help much, but you can try that too.  It is absolutely non-essential.

Additionally, do not concentrate on video decoder alone.  Audio decoder can cause problem too.  You do not have to use DScaler audio decoder together with DScaler video decoder. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:13:21 am »

Video renderer is another variable.  You are using Video Mixing Renderer 9 (VMR9).  You can try other video renderers.
Additionally, do not concentrate on video decoder alone.  Audio decoder can cause problem too. 

I've tried out all of my available options for each of Video Decoder, Video Renderer and Audio Decoder. Some results are a little bit better/worse, but none get rid of the choppy/stuttering playback. The "best" results I've gotten has been with a combo of VD-DScalar, VR-VMR9, AD-AC3Filter. Checking/Unchecking the boxes for "Use FFDShow VD for post-proc" and "use bitrate monitor" have no effect at all.

There is nothing else I can see to try under DVD Config. Are there any other variables here?

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 09:40:57 am »

I take it you're not on Vista or Win 7 or XP Media Center Edition so you can't use the Microsoft decoders.  

It might be worth trying to use the Cyberlink audio decoder along with one of the other video decoders (cccp, dscaler, ffdshow). Cyberlink is known for having a good audio decoder and a marginal video decoder.

The WinDVD decoders have worked well in the past with MC. Although it would set you back $15 to purchase their decoders, you could first test if they work by downloading a free trial of their player at http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1189528458632#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab0.  If you install the free trial and MC works Ok using the WinDVD filters, you could uninstall the trial and just purchase the decoders here: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1177441133833#versionTabview=tab1
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up