INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behavior on inserting a DVD  (Read 2548 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Behavior on inserting a DVD
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:42:40 am »

BUG:

not sure when this started happening, but mc is not honoring the dvd disc handling option in theater view.  when i play a disc in standard view nothing happens as i have it set to 'do nothing', but when i play it in theater view, mc plays it
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:25:34 pm »

BUG:

not sure when this started happening, but mc is not honoring the dvd disc handling option in theater view.  when i play a disc in standard view nothing happens as i have it set to 'do nothing', but when i play it in theater view, mc plays it

I'm pretty sure this issue is unrelated to anything in this last build since I first started noticing it a few builds ago.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:55 pm »

BUG:

This is may be "by design"

Build .074 

10. Changed: If a DVD is inserted while Theater View is showing and nothing is playing, the disc will be played, regardless of the AutoPlay settings in Options > CD & DVD.

Richard

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »

This is may be "by design"

Build .074  

Richard

Oy vey. :P

Hmm, so do I revert back and sacrifice performance for better functionality...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:51:38 am »

Hmm, so do I revert back and sacrifice performance for better functionality...
If you're in Theater View, why would you insert a DVD and not want to play it?  Help me understand.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:49 am »

If you're in Theater View, why would you insert a DVD and not want to play it?  Help me understand.

Maybe you're listening to music and want a track to finish before playing a DVD?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:49:50 am »

Maybe you're listening to music and want a track to finish before playing a DVD?
Then why would you put it the DVD in? 

This is default behavior on a DVD player, and it saves a new or casual user the trouble of learning how to start a DVD. 

Try it out on your girl friend.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:35:21 am »

I missed the statement about it only doing so if nothing is playing.
That makes sense to me.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:23:29 am »

well, happened yesterday, we dont look much dvd's. music playing in music zone, watched some images in an other zone, wanted to look some dvd. wife puts in the dvd while i poured in some drinks, and the soundcard started to protest because it got different signals, the music was still playing. but in an other zone.

why is there an option for dvd playback. and why should it behave different in thv then in standardview. it could at least ask what to do..

so to answer the question... maybe you dont want to play it immidiatly.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:22:09 pm »

Then why would you put it the DVD in?  

This is default behavior on a DVD player, and it saves a new or casual user the trouble of learning how to start a DVD.  

Try it out on your girl friend.

Because I am using powerdvd 8 to play back Blu-Ray and have a script to force this to run when a disc is inserted (since windows auto play does not work well) and since there is no way for me to distinguish by disc type, this means that both MC and Powerdvd8 playback the dvd at the same time.

I understand where you are going with trying to make things simple, but this is a case where it restricts the power of an HTPC and makes it more difficult to use.  If I wanted a standalone dvd player, I would just use that!  I doubt my girlfriend would have ever setup MC on her own, btw.  So those of us media collector types clearly would have excplicitly made the choice to either let MC do its thing or not.  If we felt it better to let it be more automatic, that choice is there in the options.  By forcing it now, your not solving the problem for a non-tech user (someone who would rather just use a dvd player), since they wouldn't be trying to setup and figure out MC in the first place.

Now if MC supported Blu-Ray... ;D

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 12:34:45 pm »

maybe the DVD button should be less hidden in the thv menu? so the new and casual user will not overlook it?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Behavior on inserting a DVD
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »

Maybe it would help to understand where we're heading with development in general.  Not that everyone will agree...

I'd like MC to be able to compete with consumer electronics devices when installed on a reliable Windows PC.  The Synapse is a first attempt at this.

As a CE box, ease of use is much more important.  It's critical that a user who has never learned anything about it be able to operate it for playback.

This is, of course, different from using MC to catalog a collection of media.  In that case, it's to be expected that you learn how to use the program, gain some skill, become an expert, then see how it can and should be extended.

These are entirely different use cases.  The first we've centered around Theater View, used with a remote.  The second is more of a traditional desktop application.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 02:53:12 pm »

That makes sense to me.  And I like that you are reaching out to a broader market, hopefully that will pay off in the long run.

It sounds like there should be defaults that emulate what you are going for in terms of ease of use, but to eliminate an option alltogether is no good, at least for an HTPC.  Most people who go the HTPC route, do it because of the customizatbility, vs. just buying a PS3.

I'm going to solve my problem by just having the script I already have just close out MC before powerdvd opens, and then restart MC once Powerdvd closes.  Event Ghost is great for doing this, btw.  

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »

Anytime an app overrides a behaviour set by a user configurable option is bad.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

gappie

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 05:02:26 pm »

Anytime an app overrides a behaviour set by a user configurable option is bad.
yep!!
when a user has not touched the option, and leave it on 'ask' (that is the standard setting?), play it in thv. but when there is an option to set, and it is set to do nothing, well... it should not play. when a new user stumbles over one of the scenarios from above he will come here and ask how to set it to not play immidiatly. the answer will be: you can set it, but it wont help, we made it that way specialy for you.  8)

:)
gab

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 05:55:19 pm »

yeah at the very least it should specify in the options what scenarios it does not apply to.  i spent an hour or so trying to figure what was wrong, if it was a problem with windows, mc, poweredvd, event ghost etc....

HiFiTubes

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 07:12:07 am »

Auto-rip a CD while browsing in Theater View (adding tracks to Playing Now as you go)?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »

Just a thought, but perhaps the fundamental difference between MC and a DVD player is that a DVD player's sole function is to play discs? :)
MC has far many more functions, and thus I think it's illogical to simply play a disc on insertion.

An option would definitely be nice, along with another of the wizards I'm rather fond of (Setting up Theatre View defaults- Playback functions etc.)

Chers

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up