INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod nano 5th gen Not recognized  (Read 2690 times)

latebeat

• Recent member
ipod nano 5th gen Not recognized
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »

Hi all,

I'm using MCv14 and I just bought an ipod nano 5th gen (the one with video capture). Itunes shows the ipod no probs, however in MC I get:
Code: [Select]
Your Ipod Could not be properly identified
Please check for an updated version of Media Center
ipod type ...

I'm using the latest version, 14.0.71
Is this a known problem or something to do with me?

thanks

latebeat

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ipod nano 5th gen Not recognized
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »

I'm using the latest version, 14.0.71
It's worth trying build 94 from the MC14 board here.

latebeat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »

JimiH thanks for the reply and the help but it didn't work.

I upgraded to the latest version from the forum (094) and MC did recognize the ipod BUT I can't see any of my songs that are already there (from itunes). I got a warning message saying that the itunes format is an older format (unknown) and will be upgraded to itunes v9.01 automatically with my next sync so I transfered some songs to the ipod but again I can't find them within the ipod.

For such a popular mp3 player I'm surprised that no one else noticed that before...

Any ideas?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:02:41 pm »

Unfortunately Apple has locked down the 5th gen ipod (in the same fashion as the iphone). You may be able to use one of the external programs like:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

latebeat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:22:13 pm »

Noooooooooo!!!! 
If only I knew that before I paid for the darn thing! :(
I hate itunes

rhom

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:31 pm »

i just bought an ipod nano myself (my first ipod ever), i dont have itunes at all, never have.

i can sync with MC 14.0.94 but as soon as the ipod is ejected it shows 0 songs and 0 playlists, yet you can see theres space taken up by the songs that were sync'd.

edit:  ok, i installed itunes 9 (and all its associated crap that came along for the ride) like someone else did and just connected the ipod (no syncing, no itunes store) and it saw all the songs i had on it from MC and can now play them so i guess its going to be a two step process until you guys can figure out how to update the ipods database and i can ditch itunes - at least i dont have to return it now.

edit2: well that seems to only work the first time around, now its just not updating at all, its stuck with the first lot of songs from my test play list and wont update with the new ones i put on no matter what i do.  i even tried restoring the ipod back to factory defaults and it hasnt helped.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:00:00 am »

Nothing can really be done about this in MC until the db hash becomes generally public knowledge. At least the nano filesystem is win32, the iPhone/iTouch is hfs+ which adds another barrier. Did you try one of the external programs I mentioned above?

rhom

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:43 pm »

Nothing can really be done about this in MC until the db hash becomes generally public knowledge. Did you try one of the external programs I mentioned above?

yep, eventually figured out how to use mcis and it works well, so will keep doing it that way until you guys can figure out how to do direct transfers.

MitchellK

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:54 am »

Here's a workaround to bypass Crapple's tactics:

A good friend of mine worked this out and it's TOO good not to share. Apple must stop dictating to users who BUY their devices which software we may and may not use to sync our devices.

From JRiver:
-----------
- Go to Drives and Devices
- Add Device
- Give it a name "Ipod Sync"
- Give it a location to a folder on your hard drive called "Ipod Sync"
- Then drag and drop files to this new device as you would to your Ipod
- When you Sync, those files are copied to that folder location on your hard drive (duplicate items .... yes I know but this works)

Then Open ITunes (Crapple's lovely Spyware)
--------------------------------------------
- Click add folder to library
- Add that folder and that folder only to your library in ITunes
- Then simply Sync your Ipod from ITunes

Each time you add or remove content to this "Virtual" IPOD Device you created it just updates that folder and each time you start ITunes it also updates with the content in the folder it has been told to monitor. This works like a charm and the amount of disk space needed for these duplicates is minimal with Nano, Touch and Iphone devices.

Then I also suggest you get yourself an antivirus with a personal firewall component like ESET SmartSecuritySuite and then block ITunes from ANY internet access, this stops Apple transmitting data behind your back without your consent.

This solution will work for any current or future Crapple device because it still uses their ITunes to do the Sync, JRiver just eases management of the folder that ITunes is syncing.

Hope this helps the other frustrated users out there who have new devices that JRiver cannot sync to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up