INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: e-music downloads turned into attachments  (Read 2147 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
e-music downloads turned into attachments
« on: July 05, 2002, 08:52:44 am »

I just recommended MJ to a friend.  He already had v8.0.2?? and I told him to upgrade to the latest, on the download page.  His goal was to download full albums from e-music.

He successfully downloaded many songs except for one thing; the minute the songs were complete, the name of the file (both in download manager and in his directory) were changed to "attachment".  I can't figure this out at all.  Anyone have a clue?  I really want this to work for him (I've been hounding him for a year now to get MJ!)
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:e-music downloads turned into attachments
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2002, 09:12:06 am »

About 10 days ago, they changed their album download format and for a day or two, MJ didn't work.  It was then fixed, but he might have an older version.  The symptoms sound different, but still, it's all I can think of.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Serge

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2002, 09:32:42 am »

EMusic is upgrading it's services now, so they have a lot of technical difficulties. 'Downloading the entire album' was one of them. But now it works just fine with MJ Download Manager.

BTW, I kept RealJukebox for only one reason: to download albums from EMusic. Since I found that Download Manager can handle it better, I don't need RJ anymore.

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2002, 11:47:35 am »

I have the same problem with EMusic --> titles of songs turned into
"attachement", and that means that if you download 12 songs,
the result is 1 song (the latest) on your HD with "attachement" as title !

Therefore I keep Freeamp for Complete Album download.

System info :

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.318
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1460 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 261 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.70

Yves.

Listening to: 'Home Sweet Home, The Wabash, Carry Me Back To The Old Virginny' from 'American Tranquility' by 'Phil Coulter' on Media Jukebox

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2002, 07:20:11 am »

Fastyves,

Are you behind a firewall?  Trying to figure out if that's the problem.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

NY40Male

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2002, 07:24:41 am »

i Had The Same Problem The Other Day When I Changed The Download Setting From Straight To Fragmented..When I Changed It Back To Straight It Worked Fine Again

Fastyves

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2002, 04:56:11 pm »

To Lise : Yes I do  --> ZoneAlarm Pro Version 3.0.118

To NY40Male : Thanks to you, I switched back to "Straight Download" and it works just fine.

Yves.

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2002, 12:00:32 am »

Did a test
As you say
If set to fragmented downloads,you get attachements instead of songs

It is because of Emusic settings,i am sure
Beside it there is only one source for Emusic,so does not make sens to use 'fragmented download'

Salut Bruxelles!

Fastyves

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2002, 01:16:03 am »

Hi Zev,

"there is only one source for Emusic,..."

you're right (question de bon sens), so let's go on with straight
download - doesn't make a big difference on my side,

Shalom Tel-Aviv.

Yves.

Listening to: 'Gli Altri Siamo Noi' from 'Bagaglio A Mano' by 'Umberto Tozzi' on Media Jukebox

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2002, 06:30:59 am »

I came across this myself, I don't know why it does this. It shows up as fragmented. The reason I use fragmented downloads is because I have a dialup connection and it makes the file download much, much faster. I noticed that when i double clicked on the attachment it opened up automatically in winamp with the correct info. I couldn't get it to save within winamp as the correct file name. I just renamed the attachment file with the name and .mp3 extention and everything is ok.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2002, 07:51:03 am »

Jazzwolf

Fragmented download works when there is many places with the files you want to download
But with Emusic,there is only one source.I do not think that you get faster downloads from Emusic with fragmented download

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2002, 09:29:08 am »

Hi Zev,

I get a MUCH faster download when it is fragmented. I just did a test before I responded to this post. I am currently using Mozilla 1.0 and I am using the GetRight Plugin. I downloaded a song from E-Music, Peggy Lee's: Accentuate the Positive. The file size is 2,170 kb, on a straight download the file took me 22 minutes to download. I am connected at 45,333 bps. The same file using GetRight with fragmented download turned on took me exactly 7 min. A very BIG difference.

Listening to: 'Pinocchio (Alternate Take)' from 'Nefertiti' by 'Miles Davis' on Media Jukebox
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2002, 11:34:12 am »

As you say a very BIG difference

Look like i do not know really what is fragmented download....

I have also GetRight-the best download manager for me- and will give a try

Listening to: 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Full Album)' from 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' by 'Wilco' on Media Jukebox

Please do not tell the riaa...........

Raymond

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2002, 06:44:24 am »

Yes, Emusic made a few protocol change and fragment download wasn't changed accordingly. Sorry about that.

Ray

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2002, 09:00:02 am »

I'm glad changing from fragmented to straight fixed the problem for many of you.  My friend is not so fortunate.  He had just downloaded the program, and didn't fiddle with fragmented.  It is set to straight, and always was.  We are now thinking perhaps it is the firewall.  If anyone has any clue, help sure would be appreciated.

Raymond

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2002, 10:19:52 am »

Lise,
    The problem did exist in straight download a few builds ago. Make sure your friend downloads MJ from the interact's latest build thread. Proxy/firewall is not related to this problem.

Ray

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2002, 12:10:14 pm »

Hi Raymond,

He had v8.0.293, but he then downloaded what was on the Download page as of July 5, which was 8.0.318.  (I'm fairly sure he did this, because he asked me if he should install custom or express).  I can't ask him now as he's away for the next week.

I suppose we can just wait till he gets back, especially if he is the only one having this problem.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2002, 12:23:24 pm »

Lise,
Uh... is this the kind of "friend" you ask your neighbor, the shrink, about?  It's OK, really, it is.  You can ask.  We're starting to feel like we know "him".  Seems like a nice person.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2002, 04:11:01 pm »

Jim:  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a (imaginary) friend.  All 34 shrinks have told me so.

Raymond:  false alarm.  Here's what my "friend" wrote me (yes, my (imaginary) friend e-mails me; he's modern in that way):

"Yikes, that was it! It wasn't 8.0.318. I just tried the 'Check for updates..." menu item and got the latest - now it works!  I guess the link I grabbed was the older version (I should have wrote it down - it was 8.0.2something)."

Serves me right, really, for concluding that he must have the recent version "because he asked me if he should install custom or express".  Bad logic.  Really bad.  I guess I'll have to go back to PHI 101
Pages: [1]   Go Up