INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server Video playback issues  (Read 1550 times)

sajuuk

• Recent member
Library Server Video playback issues
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »

Hello everyone, here is my (rather big) issue :
I'm using MC 14.0.96 as Library Server on my desktop computer. This computer is rnning under Windows 7 RTM with Windows Firewall turned off and ESET Smart Security 4 firewall set to Interactive Filtering mode. The library includes mp3, m4a, avi and some mpeg files.
I'm also using MC (same exact version) on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5672) under Windows 7 RC2, Windows firewall actived. All files I play with it are read via Library Server connection.

Audio playback works fine (though I had to update my codecs and filters) through remote library, video don't at all. When I try to open one of them, MC freezes and stop responding. No error code or something, but on the server, I can see MC14 sending between 1.7 and 2.8 mbit/s to my laptop.

I though it was caused by either one of two firewall, so I disabled both. Didn't changed anything.

When I was using MC13 on both computers, playback never took more than 6 / 7 secs to start but with MC14 something must have changed as I waited up to 10 minutes with MC14 client not responding.

Client does not completely freezes, as if I hit the Stop key on my keyboard, MC stops trying to open the file (after 30 to 40 secs).

I changed AVI playback method used from Automatic to J River video using DirectShow Filters, and now video starts after around 3 minutes. I'd haved to know if this delay could be reduced to what it was under MC13 ?

I can still play my video through devices menu in MC14 client, but I can do the same with ever video software so my library server would not have any longer use...

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server Video playback issues
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:51:42 am »

Have you checked the options under Library & Folders? "Play local file if one that matches Library server file is found" could possibly fix you're problems. This might require you to have same UNC paths on server as you would on the client.

Even this don't work all the times though. I know there is some discussions on this. Let's hope there will be a fix soon.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

sajuuk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:05:49 am »

This option was checked by default (noticed when I installed MC14 on my Media Center computer). Disabled it, but no visible change.
Too bad MC14 doesn't support 7 Homegroups, it would have been a good workaround.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:46:24 pm »

What is the path to the media on the server? If it's for instance c:\media\ try to use the Move and Rename command in MC to use UNC paths instead (\\servername\sharename\media). I don't really know if that would make ANY difference, but it's worth a shot....
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

sajuuk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

I couldn't find the "Move and Rename" command in MC (using French locale version of MC14), so I modified the "Name (path)" tag of the files on the client. Tested with 3 video files, seems to be working so far. Thanks for the tip.
I was wondering if there was a quicker way to do it than doing it one at a time ? I have 935 video files in my library server, so you can imagine modifying manually all of them would require some time ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »

I couldn't find the "Move and Rename" command in MC (using French locale version of MC14), ...

Select a file first, then right click, choose "Library Tools" (Gestion de la Mediotheque?) then Rename, Move, & Copy (first on the list).

sajuuk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:12:16 pm »

Thanks Jimh. But am I supposed to do it on the server, or on the client ? this might sound dumb, but I'm not sure  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »

If you're renaming files or using the tools to move them, you should use MC on the server.

sajuuk

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:14 pm »

Ok I've done it on a few of my files.
Plays fine on both server and clients.

The only small issue I have left, is that as I do regular auto imports on my folders to add new files, the already imported files with UNC path are imported a second time, with the drive/folder path.
Pages: [1]   Go Up