INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Media Server" as a Service on WHS  (Read 1801 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
"Media Server" as a Service on WHS
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:53:17 pm »

Hello,

There has been a number of threads on this topic and for the life of me - I can get the "media server" portion of JRMC14 to run as a service when I log off of my WHS via Remote Desktop.

Now - while I am logged on - everything works great. For what I do with the music - which will be simply serving it up (I edit, tag etc on a local machine and move the files out the share when complete) this looks like a kickass solution.

I have downloaded and attempted to "service-ize" the MC14.exe (is this the right file?) with the AnyService installer...but still no luck. I keep getting a boatload of errors saying Media Center is running under another acct...blah blah....

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Cheers!

VP

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Media Server" as a Service on WHS - I am having zero luck with this
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:08:08 am »

I'm a beginner at this, but two things to check:
1. On the WHS copy of MC14 confirm that you have Tools, Options, Startup set to "Run on Windows Startup:Media Server"
2. On the Client PC copy of MC14 go to File, Library, and click on 'Search for Library Servers'.

Also are you running updated copies of MC14 on both?

Good luck.

Rod

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:49:54 am »

I'm a beginner at this, but two things to check:
1. On the WHS copy of MC14 confirm that you have Tools, Options, Startup set to "Run on Windows Startup:Media Server"
2. On the Client PC copy of MC14 go to File, Library, and click on 'Search for Library Servers'.

Also are you running updated copies of MC14 on both?

Let see here:

1. This option only has an effect if you actually "run" Windows and are "logged" on to the box. On a server - when you logoff...basically anything that was running on the desktop (like Media Center) will be closed and that's that. Clients cannot connect to the library server. The only way around this is to "disconnect" rather than logoff...but that is security issue and I would rather now run in that fashion.
2. This part is working fine. When Media Center is "up" on the server (and I am logged on as Admin via Remote Desktop)...the clients can work with the library with no issues.

And I am running 14.0.101 on all stations/servers.

Basically - this implementation is unworkable if one has to keep an acct logged onto the server and keep MC open and running on the server desktop. Not my idea of a Library "server" at all.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »

Basically - this implementation is unworkable if one has to keep an acct logged onto the server and keep MC open and running on the server desktop. Not my idea of a Library "server" at all.

Well, I agree 100% but for whatever reason, it is what it is. As a workaround, I run FireDaemon to service-ize the MC executable rather than the MC14.exe launcher. Make sure you disable the media server startup option before doing this though. This will run MC as a service but will not show the GUI at all even when logged in under the account the service is running.  This means you need to remeber to stop the service and launch MC normally if you want to tag files etc on the server. A simple script can automate this for you though if you're so inclined.   Allowing multiple MC instances to run in the options might work too but I havnt tried that.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Vocalpoint

Re: "Media Server" as a Service on WHS
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:36:49 pm »

Well, I agree 100% but for whatever reason, it is what it is. As a workaround, I run FireDaemon to service-ize the MC executable rather than the MC14.exe launcher. Make sure you disable the media server startup option before doing this though. This will run MC as a service but will not show the GUI at all even when logged in under the account the service is running.  This means you need to remeber to stop the service and launch MC normally if you want to tag files etc on the server. A simple script can automate this for you though if you're so inclined.   Allowing multiple MC instances to run in the options might work too but I havnt tried that.

Ray,

Thanks for the comments...appreciate it. Yes - if one has to mess around with stopping this and reloading that all the time...it's truly pointless to be running the app on the server. What I really want is a WHS based addon to "corral" the music and perhaps use MC to act as a playback client.

Unfortunately - the more I continue to gravitate towards a unified central store for all my stuff - the less of a part MC is getting to play. It seems that it's a bit unwieldly for any kind of centralized activity at this point. Oddly - I was having much better luck copying my playlists, views and the whole music library around to the various workstations.

Maybe I should just set up MC on the WS and simply point them to the server shares and have each client do it's own thing. Seems that I am spending too much time thinking this out instead of just enjoying the tunes....

Hey - have you heard of Asset UPnP? - it's a WHS addon from dbPoweramp - was wondering if anyone has tried this with MC as a "client" app....

Thanks again!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up