INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing other UPnP servers over a network with JRiver Media Center 14?  (Read 4252 times)

wcvb

• Recent member

I have been using Linn's Kinsky Desktop to access files via Asset UPnP and to control my Linn Majik DS.  I've purchased and installed JRiver Media Center 14 to explore an alternative control interface.  I have an evaluation copy of Catwalk 1.1.9 (Cara Edition).

How do I access my existing Asset UPnP servers over my network and running on the same machine as JRiver Media Center 14?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Accessing other UPnP servers over a network with JRiver Media Center 14?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »

MC's UPnP is a server.  You must start it before it will be visible on the network.  It's under Services in the tree on the left.

I saw a mention of Asset recently that suggested that it was a client.

muchadhesion

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:57:49 pm »

Out of the box MC can't browse content from other UPnP media servers.

The simplest solution is to show MC the network share where you store your music, and allow MC to "Auto Import" your music. 

To set up Auto Import, use the "Tools | Auto Import" menu item. Click the "Add Folder..." button. From here "Browse..." to your media library. You can specify a path with a mapped drive (eg "M:\My Music"), or via a network path (eg "\\My NAS\My Music"). I use the latter for accessing music I store on my NAS.

This will by-pass the Asset UPnP Media Servers on your network.  (This is preferable in my view - I've yet to find a UPnP Media Server that understand as many music file formats and meta-data as MC.)

wcvb

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:58 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

muchadhesion , you said that "Out of the box MC can't browse content from other UPnP media servers."  Is there a way to configure it to do this?  I would prefer this option as it wouldn't require me to share my music folder.

muchadhesion

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »

"Out of the box MC can't browse content from other UPnP media servers."  Is there a way to configure it to do this?

Not that I know of.  Someone might have written a plug-in?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:23:27 pm »

MC has a UPnP server, but not a UPnP client.
Pages: [1]   Go Up