INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Date Picture Taken - How to Change?  (Read 6515 times)

vville

• Recent member
Date Picture Taken - How to Change?
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »

I have a problem with quite a few of my photos. When my wife started taking pictures with her new camera a few years ago, she never set the date and time in the camera.
Now I have a lot of photos with the wrong date the picture was taken.
I have change the "Date" in the Tag window with the correct date and "Update Tags From Library"
When I hover over the file listing in Windows Explorer the "Date Picture Taken" has not been updated.
When I looked at the details of the "Format" tag, it still shows the original date the camera had set.

Is there some way to update the "Date Picture Taken" in the "Format" tag?

I'm using the Samsung PC Share DLNA server on my TV and it sorts by dates - It appears to look at the "Date Picture Taken" from the tag the camera set.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Date Picture Taken - How to Change?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:38 pm »

Currently, Media Center does not write date changes to the EXIF tag.  I think it will save the date in the XMP/IPTC tag.

This would probably be a nice enhancement.

I'd also like an easier way to shift the date of files by a few hours.  You can do it with an expression, but it's not as simple as it could be.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vville

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:45:06 pm »

Thanks Matt - I thought I was missing something.

MC 14 is the best multimedia program I have found.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Now when can we expect that enhancement?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 06:45:15 pm »

I had the same issue, but found this program, and it worked fantastic.  It allowed me to change by 12 hours to fix the am/pm issue I had, as well as adding 52 days to several photos I had taken before I set the correct date. :P

Exif Date Changer, link below...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Digital-Photo-Tools/Exif-Date-Changer.shtml

worked pretty quickly also.
pretend this is something funny

vville

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »

Thank You Justin!

The Exif Date Changer worked very well.

There is one small caveate - If you make modifications to the XMP/IPTC tag in media center first, it will not update the Exif Date. It drove me nuts - then I decided to restore the file from a backup and try it and viola! it worked great.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 05:19:55 pm »

Yes, you're right - If you've written tags from MC it can be really difficult to force an update from the EXIF. I also found a backup was the easiest way.

Matt, is there any way around this - I mean, until you add that new-fandangled batch-EXIF-date-updater that J River has been secretly working on? ;)

vville

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »

OK So now I'm confused!!!!!

I ran the Exif date changer software and it appeared to work, I changed the date from 5/4/2000 to 5/4/2005 and when I hovered over the file name in windows explorer it shows me the correct date that I updated. - I thought I had it.

Now when I use MC and resync the picture - it was in the wrong date folder - I found the date tag in MC had the wrong date. It had 5/4/2000

I corrected the date and the Picture moved to the correct date folder when I refreshed the library - however the date folders in MC are not in date order now.

Further investigation, I found the jpg info in MC listed the Date on the 2nd line as 5/4/2000 which should be 5/4/2005
In the MJMD tag in the jpg info - the Date is: 38476.4430555555591127 which I believe equtes to 5/4/2005
the Album is 5/4/2005 in the same tag.

Any thoughts?  This is really getting to be a project!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 06:31:50 pm »

You may have to delete the files from the library, then re-import.  Try one or two before you do very many.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 09:58:43 pm »

I'd like to vote +1 on supporting Exif tags. I've been editing them outside of MC and it gets real cumbersome. Is this also the reason that MC doesn't show the full Lat/Lon in geotagged images?

vville

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:04:53 pm »

I have opened 2 files in Irfanview and checked the Exif tags they both have the 2005 05 04 date which is what I changed it to from 2000 05 04 in Exif Date Changer.

I completely cleared my Library in MC then I reimported the pictures - I even changed the file name and put them in different folders then where thay were originally before I did the Import.

When I view the Tag info in MC the JPG Exif still shows the 2000 05 04 date as the date taken. Is there something in the Library that is not being updated?  It now seems that MC is the problem. It seems like once in MC's database it does not get updated.

All of the Exif editing was done with MC closed.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:29:30 am »

Do you have a backup of the photos anywhere? From before they were ever imported into MC. I think MC reads EXIF on the first import, but then date is stored in IPTC. If the files are reimported, date is automatically read from IPTC and it's hard to override this... I know others have found a way around this - we have talked about it before, I just can't find the thread.

vville

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »

Well its all my end - I'm not sure what photo album software I used sometime back, but I found using PhotoMe that the exif tags actually had 2 yes 2 cameras listed in the exif.

I tried several different exif editors and they would only correct one of the camera fields.

Finally I found Opanda Powerexif would rewrite the exifs correctly. All I had to do was open and then save the file with no changes and it would write the exif with only one camera tag info in it.

Step 2 was to use exif Date Changer to correct the offset of the date taken in batch mode.
Now when I import in MC all is well!!!

What a journey!!

Sorry for thinking it was something in MC causing the mess!! ;)

rjm

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 02:47:16 pm »

Exif writing by JRiver would be really really useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up