INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Buffering causes MC14 not to be able to play such videos  (Read 3024 times)

mstram24

• Recent member
Video Buffering causes MC14 not to be able to play such videos
« on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:02 pm »

im using the latest version of MC14 (106) and i've noticed that videos that require a little buffering at the start won't be able to play in MC14.  This is a bit annoying since my MC14 plays almost any other video.  Is there a way around this?

thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Video Buffering causes MC14 not to be able to play such videos
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:38:45 am »

What type of videos?  How do you set MC to play them?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mstram24

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:44:11 pm »

i dont know why buffering is required as im not streaming anything.  these are all downloaded videos. so it's a bit odd that my other players like media player classic or VLC need a 5~ second buffering at the start before playing them. anyhow, MC14 will not play them at all and displays a popup error message telling me about some codec. 

These could be just about any popular video type, like avi or wmv.  how do i set MC14 to play them? im not that sure what this means, but i didnt change the default resolution or display options.  my videos are organized in playlists displayed by thumbnails, i just double click on a video and it starts to play, except when i get the buffering problem. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:56:46 pm »

Tools > Options > File Types.  Select a file type, change Playback Method from "Automatic" to "JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)".  Select filters.

mstram24

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »

i did that but it still doesnt work. i get the error message directShow:No combination of filters could be found to render the stream.
code = 0x80040218

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »

Try installing CCCP.  See the wiki link above.

mstram24

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:18:03 pm »

yes i already have CCCP, ive been using it for a long time.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »

Either there is something wrong with your installation of CCCP (try updating to the latest version or simply reinstall it), or you have some files that use codec that CCCP can not handle.  I would think the former is more likely.

mstram24

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:30:30 pm »

i dont think its CCCP because im able to play perfectly those buffering videos in my other video players like Media player classic or VLC.   only MC14 seems to have problems with it.  anyhow, i will try reinstalling CCCP but i doubt this will solve it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:25 pm »

VLC doesn't use any external filters at all (it won't use CCCP for anything), and MPC-HC has some of it's own built in as well, so they aren't necessarily very good tests.  Do the videos play using Windows Media Player?

Also, could you describe exactly what codec the videos in question are compressed with?  If you don't know, MediaInfo can tell you.  Get it here: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mstram24

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »

so, to recap, VLC and MPC play it..with about a 5 seconds buffering at the start..after which the video plays correctly.
MC14 and Windows media player wont play it..and display an error message. i analyzed the file with mediainfo..and here's a screenshot of my results.

p.s. i re-installed CCCP and upgraded to the latest version of MC14 (111)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:25:43 pm »

That looks like a fairly standard DivX file (though it is version 5, which is a little more rare, but nothing too weird).

MediaInfo recognized it as an AVI as well.  I thought perhaps it was one of those odd .divx files that aren't well supported anywhere outside of the "official" DivX Player, but the MediaInfo results make me doubt that.  If Windows Media Player won't play it, that explains why MC can't play it.

I'm totally guessing here, but it looks like those are tiny little "snippets" of video (the one you posted the screenshot of was 2 min long exactly and called "00069.avi").  It also has "Boilsoft Joiner" listed as the writing application.  Perhaps this is a splitter/joiner application that was used to chop up a longer encode into smaller hunks, and it corrupted the AVI header in the process (or made it non-standard somehow).

Is there any chance you could post one somewhere so I could test it out on my system?  I imagine if there is a problem with MC's rendering that MPC-HC could fix somehow (without an extra filter), that the JRiver folks might be able to fix the problem.  Me testing it would tell us if it is something wrong with your CCCP install (which certainly should handle a DivX AVI) or if there is something else going on.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:30:49 pm »

so, to recap, VLC and MPC play it..with about a 5 seconds buffering at the start..after which the video plays correctly.
MC14 and Windows media player wont play it.
The filters used must be different.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 09:36:56 pm »

The filters used must be different.

If it is a DivX AVI, it should just be FFDSHOW and the default AVI Splitter.  DivX (with regular PCM audio even) certainly isn't that unusual.  I'm wondering if the AVI isn't "somewhat" damaged in some way, and it is causing the Bitrate Monitor Filter to cough up on it.

That's why I'm hoping I can get a copy so that I can test it out and confirm.

EDIT:  You could also try running one of them through DivFix, which should repair a damaged header if it finds one.  If that fixes it, it is almost certainly something wrong with the AVI header.  It'd still be interesting to know more though, since both MPC and VLC handle it fine.

You can download DivFix here: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divfix.html#downloads

mstram24

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:00:12 am »

divfix solved it sir !  hehe...now my list of issues with MC14 is getting really really short. thx a lot for your precious and rapid help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up