INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

POLL: Windows 7 is out, but what version do you use MC on most of the time?

Win 7
Vista
XP
Other

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: What is your primary OS now?  (Read 2945 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: What is your primary OS now?
« on: December 20, 2009, 02:15:48 pm »

I'm just trying to get a better view of where everyone is right now.

Thanks,

Jim

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: What is your primary OS now?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 02:19:45 pm »

Win 7 and OS X, equally.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:31:17 pm »

All three of my computers are now on windows 7, redone from xp. My main computer on top of that is 64bit.

I was redoing my media entertainment centers with bigger tv, better software and all HD content, so figured what the heck, go with the new OS, glad I did.

Windows 7 found all my drivers, my networks, internet connection automatically without me doing anything, try doing that with xp!

TC  ;D

gappie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:42:45 pm »

im on xp for my media (=mc  8) ) and recording software.. i have no plans to upgrade yet. works to good as it is now with xp.
my other work / internet / test machine is on w7 rc. will be non rc in a near feature.  :)

:)
gab

stil_learning

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:53:08 pm »

I use win 7 as my primary (the first good win OS since 95) and linux mint 'helena'.  helena outperforms win 7.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:54:17 pm »

I've had a copy of 7 sat on my desk now for about a month, and I can't bring myself to clean off a copy of Vista that's running perfectly, and also for which I have a ready to go image.  My assistant has the same machine as mine and he has installed it and it doesn't even seem any quicker to me... so for the time being Vista's where it's staying at here :)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Re: POLL: What is your primary OS now?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:14 am »

I've run MC14 on XP, Vista, and now Win7 with no operating-system-related issues on any.

Good job!  :)

Grumpy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:08 am »

I have so many machines.  It would be a project killer to update the OS on everyone of them every time there is a new one.  To date I have the HTPC/Win7-64, Video editor/Vista-64, three others are Vista-32 and the laptops and ham box are 95.  I figure if they arn't broke then why fix them.  Oh, and two servers with Win server on both because I get it free.  I have to admit that I have a couple of Linux boxes also for special purpose needs.
Sorry I don't post much. The others here do such a great job as do you.  I get answers to the few questions just by reading and figure-ing it out as I go.
Keep up the fine work.

Mikey
18Tb Media Server, MC14. 1800+ movies and growing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:32:33 am »

I too have a bunch of machines, but I did the update for most of them.  I started way back when the RTM first came out though, so it was easy to do it and take some time.  The key is to have multiple hard drives, so that you can switch them out and keep using the machine with the old system until the new one is ready.

Also... If you haven't ever used it before, Ninite is an absolute lifesaver: http://ninite.com/

Anyhow... Since I could only vote for one, I thought I'd list out all of my Windows machines as they currently stand:

Home Server/Man-Cave Box: Windows 7 64-bit
Home Office PC: Windows 7 64-bit
HTPC: Windows 7 64-bit
Laptop: Dual Boot OSX 10.5 (Leopard) and Windows 7 64-bit (Macbook Pro)
Netbook/Tremote: Windows XP
Work Office PC: Windows Vista 32-bit
Main Video Workstation: Dual Boot OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Windows 7 64-bit (Mac Pro)
Video Wall PCs (2 of them): Windows Vista 64-bit
Video Wall Server: Windows XP

Let me tell ya... Windows 7 absolutely SCREAMS on my 8-core (16 with Hyperthreading) Nehalem-based Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM.  I don't have MC installed on it or else I'd run the JRMark benchmark on that sucker.  Maybe later.

All in all, I really LOVE Windows 7.  I was fairly lukewarm on Vista (not impressed at all when it first came out, though they fixed much of its problems with subsequent service packs).  Windows 7 is a good advance, though.  It really reminds me of the Windows 2000 vs Windows XP thing.  Windows 2000 was great under the hood.  They did a fantastic job re-writing the core of the OS for that release.  However, it wasn't really ready for consumer use.  I used Windows 2000 on one of my systems at home way back then, but I always had to dual boot it to Windows 98 because there were some programs that wouldn't run at all on it (and others would run noticeably worse).  Windows XP fixed most of that and added the "chrome" that consumer desktop users needed.

Windows Vista vs 7 is much the same.  It is essentially the same OS at its core, but they've tweaked just enough to make it WAY better.

And don't believe the haters.  The new taskbar is fantastic.  Of course, I'm an OSX user so...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:37:45 pm »

Also... If you haven't ever used it before, Ninite is an absolute lifesaver: http://ninite.com/

Looks good but doesn't have MC on it... but there's a suggestion box at the bottom people  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 12:43:38 pm »

Looks good but doesn't have MC on it... but there's a suggestion box at the bottom people  ;)

Yes.  I had already done that, but more help would be awesome.  Also, while you're at it... Suggest CCCP as it doesn't have that one either.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MusicHawk

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »

I voted once for XP -- it simply works, and it's what I use with MC.

Of my 35 or so in-house computers, 30+ are Windows PCs (mostly HP desktops, several IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, a few other brands, and some home-built systems).

Almost all are running XP (mix of 32-bit, 64-bit, MS Media Center).

Several started with Vista but were "upgraded" to XP. Others came with XP installed but also included Vista, which is still on the shelf.

One HP PC is still running Vista, but it is dog-slow (actually, my dog is faster than this computer) even with dual core and 3GB. It's stuck with Vista because there's no XP driver for the Nvidia motherboard video (the normal use of the computer doesn't require a better video card).

Two old ThinkPads are running Windows 2000 -- works great.

Also, I have 2 systems running Suse Linux.

I don't see a reason to convert existing computers to Windows 7, so it will enter the mix when a new PC is purchased.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »

I have only one PC. With Win7 and OS X (Snow Leopard).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 06:29:36 pm »

I voted XP.

I am evaluating Win 7 Ultimate on one PC. At the moment I probably use it more than our XP PCs because my daily routines seem to include installing additional stuff and configuring it. However, it is mainly a test rig and all other "MC enabled" PCs are running XP for now. I skipped Vista completely. Our newest laptop came with Vista, but I soon "downgraded" it to XP.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 07:46:50 am »

No primary OS whatsoever  :D
Older machines have XP installed, newer ones have either 7 or Vista installed, depending on when I last rebuilt them.
Servers run Linux, although I'll admit I keep thinking about Solaris and ZFS.

Even got a DOS/ 98 box for a few odd games which don't agree with VMs. [Basically, most of the Simon & Schuster CD-based bits]

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:38:38 pm »

54% Windows 7

RainCaster

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »

I have 14 machines on my home network now. Several print servers run XP, as does one of my laptops. My music & photo server uses Server 2003 (x86), while the domain server runs Server 2008 (SBS). Most machines that the kids & wife have are running Vista-32, but I am upgrading them one at a time this weekend to Win7-32.
My main laptop runs Win7-64 while my main desktop has Vista-64. I have several old machines with Ubuntu and NT4 that I occasionally fire up for compat testing.

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:53 am »

Library server running on Windows Home Server.
Clients:
Windows XP PRO (2)
Windows Vista Home Premium (1)
Windows Vista Ultimate (1)
Windows 7RC (7100) (1)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 03:31:20 pm »

Mac OS  Snow Leopard.

DarkPenguin