INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB missing many CD IDs ...  (Read 1334 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
YADB missing many CD IDs ...
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:48:19 pm »

I stumbled upon this original (but locked for some reason) thread while looking to find why I'm also seeing the same problem.  YADB's hit rate for re-RIP'ing many of my library is about 4/5.  A previous post stated:

I use EAC to rip (I understand that MC performs secure rips, but I like EAC) and it uses Gracenote CDDB.  I rarely stump it.  Then I have MC's auot-import keep an eye on my rip folder.  

I rip to FLAC and mp3 with EAC.

I've resorted to something similar ... i.e., to use EAC for accessing freeDB, then using EAC to export the data to 'CDplayer.ini', ... and then to use MC14 to import from the same.

Regarding YADB being MC user supported, I have to wonder why JRiver tried to re-invent the wheel, when freeDB is supported by a larger user base and its hit rate is near 100%(??)  Is there a technical reason?

My $0.02  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: YADB missing many CD IDs ...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:43 pm »

Basically, the quality of FreeDB's data. FreeDB has a lot of data, but a lot of it is incorrect, garbled, etc.
A 100% hit rate isn't impressive, if the results returned are wrong. YADB has mechanisms that constantly improve the data based on user submissions.

j

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:48:36 am »

FreeDB has a lot of data, but a lot of it is incorrect, garbled, etc.

That's never been my experience but regardless, surely it's resonable to suggest that MC could resort to an alternate online db when jadb comes back with nothing?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:56:22 am »

That's never been my experience but regardless, surely it's resonable to suggest that MC could resort to an alternate online db when jadb comes back with nothing?

That's an interesting thought, but I wonder if there would be legal issues with extracting the data from one database (free.db) and then importing it into another (YADB), since I believe MC uses user data in this way to fill YADB with data. I'm certainly not the expert, but I'd guess it's something along those lines.

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up