INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In search of smooth video playback ....  (Read 2326 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
In search of smooth video playback ....
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:16:15 am »

I'm trying to fine tune my new MC14/Windows 7 (x64) setup and want to get smooth video playback.

I'm running an Intel quad core Q9400 CPU at 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM and an ATI 4850 GPU on Windows 7 Ultimate (x64).

By smooth I mean when the credits scroll up the screen or the news ticker scrolls around the screen they are smooth like one gets on a $50 STB!.

I always switch my screen refresh to match the source video rate (mostly all PAL here anyway) and use reclock to fine tune things.

So far my best result for .mpg and  DRV-MS files and Live TV playback is the same as it was under XP and thats the Cyberlink PowerDVD9 video decoder with HW accel on, reclock and using the  VMR7 renderer.  

The MS decoder and FFDShow seem OK too with VMR7 but none are good with EVR instead of VMR7, which has surprised me as I expected EVR to perform well on Win7.

For High Def .MKV files I was using the MPC video decoder BUT for some reason I can't get this working on my machine and it keeps defaulting back to CoreAVC.  The MPC filter did give a better result for me when I was running XP but I can't work out how to get it working now!  (I have registered the 64 and 32bit filters and can select them in MC but only the audio decoder gets loaded and the video one gets ignored).  So I'm now using CoreAVC and once again with VMR7 giving the smoothest result over EVR.

So the question is.... what filters/renderers are others finding give the best playback results for the files they playback or for Live TV?

Cheers
Richard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: In search of smooth video playback ....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

bump

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:56:46 pm »

By smooth I mean when the credits scroll up the screen or the news ticker scrolls around the screen they are smooth like one gets on a $50 STB!.

I always switch my screen refresh to match the source video rate (mostly all PAL here anyway) and use recloce to fine tune things.

While I'm discussing with Richard the codec thingie on the side, I would attack here an issue that bugs me to no end, about the smooth playback aspect.

Regardless what one can do to tweak the video card settings to output framerates of 24 or multiples of that, is there any LCD computer monitor that can display such framerates??? Otherwise everything is for nothing and said tweaks help only when the computer and its graphics card are hooked up to TVs, projectors and other things that know 24, 48, 72, 120HZ, etc. Otherwise enjoy happy judder...!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:05:37 pm »

Thanks for the *bump* Jim, but it didn't help much :)

Anyway, with Jmones help (we live almost next door - can you believe it!) I have come to the following settings for non H.264 files;

Audio Filter: AC3Filter (this really doesn't matter)
Video Filter: FFDShow (Tryouts versions - currenly using Rev 3222)
Renderer: Haali

I then turn ON deinterlacing in ffdshow and select the method as "yadif", I then select the "Double Framerate" box.

This seems to give the best result with scrolling text and also with fast moving ball sports (like tennis).

Now my only problem is this seems to have audio/video sync issues with Live TV.

I've started a new thread in the TV section for this one...  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55857.0

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:20:51 pm »

Good point about Judder. LCD computer monitors are not great at video playback mostly because of the locked framerate. Over the last 3 years significant strides have been made in LCD TVs to reduce it. Curious if all the tweaking that was done was to help smooth this out on a computer monitor...

That settles it, I'm just going to have to inform the wife that I must replace my monitor with a 32" 240hz Monitor. I'm sure she'll understand... :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up