INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 14 used in a multi room system  (Read 838 times)

Facel

• World Citizen
MC 14 used in a multi room system
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:47:41 am »

hello everybody

I would like to have the following configuration with MC14

- 1 big Synology NAS hosting all my files (music, photos, video)
   - several "rich" media players based on "Small silent PC" + MC14  (used like power dlna boxes) connect either to a tv + Hifi or only Hifi system

here are my question.
  1) When I run MC14 with media file located on the  NAS there are plenty of files created on the NAS probably used as index by MC14.  If I have 3 PC  with MC14 using the same files/librairy on my NAS, does MC14 create the media index 3 times or only one time no matter how many pc are running simultaneoulsy MC14

2) what is the best configuration to have to achieve such a multi room system ?
        => 1 nas + 1 PC server running MC14 and streaming the file + n x PC media player running MC14 as media player
        => 1 nas +  n x PC media player running MC14 as media player would be enough

3) What parameters should be set in MC 14 software

4) what about the use of DLNA on the NAS itself and on MC14 ?

Thank you for your help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 14 used in a multi room system
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:02:11 am »

You might start by reading about "Servers" and DLNA in our wiki.  That would give you the basic choices.

New DLNA options will be available soon in MC, including using MC as the Renderer.  So one copy of MC could import the files from the NAS and other copies could connect to the first copy of MC to play them (using DLNA).  That will probably not be as "rich" an experience as using Library Server.

Experimenting with MC will be the best way to learn.  Use the latest build from this board on all PC's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up