INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Convert M4A to MP3 While Burning CD - Problem Solved!  (Read 4510 times)

shoshaw

• Recent member
Cannot Convert M4A to MP3 While Burning CD - Problem Solved!
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

I'm trying to convert M4A (unprotected) to MP3 files while I burn a CD.  The option is clear in the menu and I have selected it.  Everything seems to be setup properly; however, when the process is complete, the only file on the CD is the M4A.  I am using version 14.0.127 which reportedly fixed this error.  Any ideas? :(

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Cannot Convert M4A to MP3 While Buring CD
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:01:14 pm »

Did you set MC to play m4a files in "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filters)", and select a set of filters to use?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

shoshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:31 pm »

Yes.  It still does not work.  Do you have a suggestion on which filter to choose?  I tried the Windows Media Source Filter.

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »

Windows Media Source filter definitely is not for m4a files.

You need Haali Media Splitter, from the "Source filters" list, and FFDShow Audio decoder, from the "Other filters" list.

If you can not find these filters, you should consider installing CCCP pack.

Please read this wiki article on mp4 and m4a for details.  You can find a link to CCCP there.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »

I too have encountered the same problem... I feel your frustration! [see previous thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55008.0]

Glynor was helpful in suggesting some things that worked for him, but I was unsuccessful. I haven't updated since '106 so I guess I'll have to update and try again. Regardless, I wouldn't consider this to be a user-friendly experience as far as this issue is concerned. Too bad for the IPod/MC/Lossless users :(

Although it's unfortunate that you have run into the same problem, I'm glad you've posted about it. Hopefully your post will add enough attention and prompt someone to find a solution. Unfortunately, I doubt that there are not enough users in our predicament to make this wheel "squeaky" enough for JRiver to address this issue natively through MC. My solution is to use a different application in a two step process (I refuse to use itunes).

I wish us all luck, shoshaw!
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:07:00 am »

Glynor was helpful in suggesting some things that worked for him, but I was unsuccessful. I haven't updated since '106 so I guess I'll have to update and try again. Regardless, I wouldn't consider this to be a user-friendly experience as far as this issue is concerned. Too bad for the IPod/MC/Lossless users :(
Tell Apple.  It's their doing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:22:51 pm »

Tell Apple.  It's their doing.

It isn't their doing that MC has trouble converting to/from MP4 files... I don't know what you're saying here, Jim (though you may be joking, I have trouble with your dry wit on the forum sometimes).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

shoshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

I must thank Yaobing for his suggestion.  I installed Haali Media Splitter and CCCP Pack.  I selected Haali Media Splitter as "Source Filter" and FFDShow as "other filter".  I burned a CD and the M4Ps were converted to converted to MP3s according to the settings I selected.

Life is good!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Cannot Convert M4A to MP3 While Burning CD
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:06 pm »

In addition, if you want to keep the FFDShow audio decoder set to fit your video playback preferences you can use the separate DC-Bass Source filter for decoding M4A/AAC and M4A/ALAC audio files (the latter is not available with FFDShow).

Search the forum for "DC-Bass Source" and my user name for more info and instructions.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dlmax63

• World Citizen
Re: Cannot Convert M4A to MP3 While Burning CD - Problem Solved!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:48 pm »

I finally got around to installing the filters as described and I think that it has worked because I was able to use the "convert format" option within MC. I have not yet tried to burn a disc but I think that it would now work.

I still feel that for usability MC should be able to do these functions natively. The average iPod user would most likely use the lack of native support as an excuse to just stay with iTunes instead of the more versatile and more powerful MC. Isn't m4a just an MPEG-4 file?
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

kjawolf

Re: Cannot Convert M4A to MP3 While Burning CD
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 04:10:20 pm »

I am also running into this problem.  Setting the AAC file type to audio Engine with DirectShow helped, but  I still get an "invalid field in parameter list" error in the status window during writing, and the disk is always blank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up