INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what's the likely bottleneck in this setup...  (Read 1501 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
what's the likely bottleneck in this setup...
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:07:05 pm »

i've got 2 computers. 1 is a relative beast. quad core, 8gb ram, good video card, etc. the other is just okay. a 2.2GHz dual core, 2 GB ram, on-board video, etc. both are running windows 7 64bit just fine.

the beast computer is in my bedroom and contains all the hard drives with all the data on it. the just okay computer is in the living room as an acting HTPC (though all the data is stored on the bedroom PC). I should note my library is fairly large.

operating within MC14 is very slow on the computer in the living room. my question comes down to whether the hardware is the bottleneck... or in my opinion the LAN... could it be the LAN, which is a wireless network connection (strong signal) but only 54mbps. Would I be better off upgrading the PC (I don't think it needs it) or just hardwiring to the router so the network would be 1 gigabit?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: what's the likely bottleneck in this setup...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:25:13 pm »

What types of things are slow?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:19:09 pm »

the importing, the grabbing of cover art, the audio analysis, the loading of thumbnails. tasks like that.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:06:40 pm »

I would say you'd see the most benefit going to Wireless-N.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »

Yes, sounds like a network issue to me. Drop the wireless and go 10 gigabit! :)
I've never trusted wireless for data between my stationary computers my self, but I do understand the reluctance to do the cabling work though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »

I've never trusted wireless for data between my stationary computers my self, but I do understand the reluctance to do the cabling work though.
Ethernet over power line has been good to me.  I've used several generations without too many problems.  Currently using Linksys at 85Mbps.  802.11N wireless also works well.

ajua

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:35:08 pm »

I'm using an HTPC with a Zotac IONITX-A-U (Atom Dual Core overclocked at 2.0 Ghz and 4gb of RAM) to receive streaming audio in my living room (among other things) and everything is responsive within Media Center. All with a wireless 802.11g connection and a Linksys WRT54GL router. My router runs DD-WRT and previously it had Tomato firmaware on it. Both made a huge difference in network responsiveness between my different computers.

My main library consists of about 90gb of MP3 files all with cover art and their audio already analyzed. Media Center loads the remote library almost instantly and the files play without any hiccups.

Perhaps your problem lies elsewhere. Other things like surfing the web, decompressing files or things like that seem slow as well?
Pages: [1]   Go Up