INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tags not updating  (Read 1432 times)

vicini

• World Citizen
tags not updating
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:04:54 pm »

using v14.0.131

here is my situation
i use the comments to build my smart playlists. So if i want a song to go to my Billboard 100 smartlist, i add {BB100} to the tag of the file by right clicking the file in windows explorer and adding {BB100} to the comment. Media Center picks that up and adds it to the Billboard 100 smartlist. this is perfect. If i decided to add that same song to lets say, rock, i will then add {Rock} to the comment so then the comment would now read {BB100}, {Rock}. Now the song will show up in both the BB100 and Rock smartlists. this is also perfect.
now here is the issue.
i no longer want this song in any playlist so i delete the comment completely. Media Center doesnt pick it up. it will always show the last comment i made.
so in other words, i can change the comment to anything i want and media center picks it up, but if i delete the comment, media center will not see that. it will always show the last comment made.
my temp fix to this is i have to manually delete the comment in media center and it will go away
is this a bug?
Scott
Scott

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: tags not updating
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »

Investigate MC's Library Tools.  I believe you can update library from tags to get what you want.  Try a few before you do very many.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:10:53 pm »

using v14.0.131

here is my situation
i use the comments to build my smart playlists. So if i want a song to go to my Billboard 100 smartlist, i add {BB100} to the tag of the file by right clicking the file in windows explorer and adding {BB100} to the comment. Media Center picks that up and adds it to the Billboard 100 smartlist. this is perfect. If i decided to add that same song to lets say, rock, i will then add {Rock} to the comment so then the comment would now read {BB100}, {Rock}. Now the song will show up in both the BB100 and Rock smartlists. this is also perfect.
now here is the issue.
i no longer want this song in any playlist so i delete the comment completely. Media Center doesnt pick it up. it will always show the last comment i made.
so in other words, i can change the comment to anything i want and media center picks it up, but if i delete the comment, media center will not see that. it will always show the last comment made.
my temp fix to this is i have to manually delete the comment in media center and it will go away
is this a bug?
Scott

Media Center will not clear a field when updating from file tags.  This is by design so that data will never be destroyed for tag fields that might not be supported by a file.

You might consider changing the comments inside Media Center instead of using Explorer.  You could use the Tag Action Window or in-place edit any list.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »

well, thats an issue, media center reads from a protected network drive so that i dont accidently delete any music. more so of a protection from my kids not deleting or altering anything. so i cant change tags within media center.
Scott

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:16:19 pm »

Why don't you just overwrite the comment with an "x" or something?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »

Why don't you use Mediacenter "on the protected computer" to do the tagging? You can legally use it on more than one computer. I believe JR allows 3 computers, correct me if I'm wrong.

The other option is to use different accounts on the client computer. Let you kids use MC under their account and they can't changes files. Launch it under your account and you can. You would have to have a shared library for that to work... There is some info in the Wiki on setting this up.

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »

thank you for all the feedback.

the response i got
---
"Media Center will not clear a field when updating from file tags"
---
pretty much answered it for me and already took steps to fix this. so what i did was unprotected the network folder and put a . (period) in the comment to all the 40,000+ wma's i have. so now i will just change the comment to . when i no longer want the songs in any playlist. its a little annoying but it is only a 1 shot deal. so no complaints as it was very simple to do.

i already have MC installed on 3 computers with them sharing 1 library but if i'm not mistaking, there is no limit to the number of machines you can have MC installed on.

on the network computer, i added a device for my itunes library. i converted all my wma's to mp3 for this library. i then use itunes watch folder to watch this device folder to add my mp3's to the itunes library. i then have smartlists to watch the comments so they can be put into the proper playlists so they sync on the iphone. believe me when i tell you this, i am no way a fan of itunes, but i really like there Genius thing.

anyways, i got the answer i was looking for and now all is good.
big fan of MC. keep up the great work

Scott
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up