INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center crashing computer upon opening  (Read 998 times)

Pizza Hut

Media Center crashing computer upon opening
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »

Hi,

I'm having a big problem with one of my computers.

I have Media Center 12 and Media Center 14 installed, and they both are causing a complete restart of my computer when I open them up.

Sometimes the computer will restart as soon as I double click Media Center, other times it will let Media Center start up, but then when I try to import a folder it will crash, other times if I start to play a file it will crash.

It's not my computer over heating because I try to open Media Center just seconds after it's booted up and hasn't been running for hours. Also- I've only be able to isolate both versions of Media Center as causing the crash, I've run multiple other programs for hours without any issues. Even ran Windows Media Player just fine. So as far as I can tell- it's only Media Center that causes the problem.

I've been using Media Center 12 for years on this computer with zero problems- everything played great. Have been running Media Center 14 for a less amount of time, but it seemed to run just fine up until yesterday.

The only changes I know of is the installation of daemon tools.

I also noticed that when I shut off my external cd/dvd drive, Media Center didn't crash or cause a restart when I opened it up. Only tried it once.

Also, I hooked up a brand new USB Toshiba 1TB drive to it yesterday- and upon restarting the computer it wouldn't even boot because the drive has a "virtual cd drive" installed on it and the computer tries to boot from it.  Here is a thread that discusses it further :

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/hard-drive-support/440393-virtual-cd-removal-toshiba-1tb-ext-hdd.html

This drive has been returned to the store because it won't even allow my computer to boot when it is plugged in, plus it has multiple other problems.

I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point on my computer, but it won't let me. I'm currently running a virus scan to rule out any virus issues.

Any suggestions/help would be fantastic- thanx for reading  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center crashing computer upon opening
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:17 pm »

If your PC is restarting, that is probably a hardware problem.  It could be driver related.  Bad memory could do it.   There are other possibilities.

If you have two sticks of memory (or more) try running on one at a time.  Try a memory test program.

MC14 has a benchmark feature under Help.  Try running it.  You might learn something useful.  Post the results here.  Also copy your system info (under MC Help) and post it here.

There is a link in my signature to "Stability".  
Pages: [1]   Go Up