INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Accomplish a 5 Star Shortcut Key On There Universal Remotes?  (Read 3595 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

looking for a key i can program to my harmony one universal remote, so that when i press it no matter where i am in jriver what ever song is playing i can 5 star it.

Thanks

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
Re: Anyone Accomplish a 5 Star Shortcut Key On There Universal Remotes?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:56:48 pm »

I don't think you can do that with J River alone but there are several programs out there that do "universal remote control of windows". Girder. IR Server Suite, EventGhost, etc. You can use that to capture a buttonpress and run a script that does the 5 start marking... Wouldn't be that hard of a script to write...

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »

Pass a hotkey to an MC global core command. Should be easy. You'll need to edit resource.xml in the custom resources directory.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

Bryanhoop is correct, you don't need an external  remote program to do this, the functionality is now built in. You can use Options->RemoteControl->Commands and add/edit a button. I couldn't find a core command that would do what you want though. Editing file properties requires passing a structure which I don't think is possible via command line. That part would still require a script AFAIK.

Bryanhoop:
If you know how to do this with a core command(s) please let me know. That would be really useful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »

Bryanhoop is correct, you don't need an external  remote program to do this, the functionality is now built in. You can use Options->RemoteControl->Commands and add/edit a button. I couldn't find a core command that would do what you want though. Editing file properties requires passing a structure which I don't think is possible via command line. That part would still require a script AFAIK.

Bryanhoop:
If you know how to do this with a core command(s) please let me know. That would be really useful.
We might be able to add it.

Thank you both for helping.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:09:09 pm »

No problem. This interest me as well as I've wanted to change star ratings from theater view for some time. Never thought of using a "hotkey" though.

On the flip side, I would like to see star ratings (for audio especially) while browsing if possible. Hate going through some old album I can't remember the name of the song and having to leave to standard view to find it via star ratings. Then back to Theater View, and back to the couch.... :)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:51:21 pm »

I was so excited about the idea I whipped up a really quick and dirty script file:

Code: [Select]
try
{
      // See if it is running already
      MC = GetObject("", "MediaJukebox Application");
}
catch(err)
{
// Try to start it
        try
        {
             MC = new ActiveXObject("MediaJukebox Application");

}
        catch( err){}
}

if( MC != null)
{
MC.GetCurPlaylist().GetFile(MC.GetCurPlaylist().Position()).Rating = 5;
}

Save that to a file like 5star.js. In Options->Remote Control->Commands add or edit a command. Use Add Run and navigate to cscript in the Windows\System32 directory.  For the parameter use the path to the script file.

The script is really raw and needs some work to be usable, but it should give you the idea. You should check if it is audio/video etc if you only want to tag one type, and it should test if a file is actually playing or not for starters.

Hope this helps.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:10:59 pm »

WOW.. i go to my parents for one day to unload baby turkeys... and come home to see progression. i like this!

now will this feature allow us to be anywhere within theaterview and if a song, vid is playing and we press this 5 star button it will auto 5 star it for us? or will we have to be on a certain screen for this 5 starring to work?

also, a suggestion? maybe when we get this working a way for anyone with a learning type remote to be able to do it. be a cool feature for everyone i think... anyway to shorten steps is a godsend in my opinion.

thank you.

also gvanbrunt thanx for the posts :) i have unpacking to do but will be getting back to you on the library missing files question here either tonight or tomm. cause i'd really like to figure that one out. and am very curious about your ideas for making libraries simpler to use.
Thanks again.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »

It using the automation interface. It gets the current playing song and tags it as 5 stars. It does not matter where you are in MC. As mentioned though it's pretty rough...

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:33 pm »

mc14.exe /mcc 10023, 5

I'm not sure how this kind remote works and is configured in MC, but I assume a command like this can at least be assigned to a particular key. An advantage of using remote software is most will allow some the use of some sort of menu. I use a "multi-press" menu, whereby one press sets the rating to "5", another "4", etc.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 04:15:03 pm »

Ah ha, knew there had to be a way to do it. It was hidden under playback in the WIKI. That is more of an Edit Command in my mind and that is where I was looking. Wish I knew that a while ago...

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »

i'm back. been busy on the homefront.  so t accomplish this. do i use rickca's settings? or gvanbrunt 's settings?  would you be so kind to give us a lamens way of setting this up? i'd like to get my harmony one 5 star button programmed and working.
thank yu for your tips and help guys.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »

Rick.ca's is more trouble free than the script I created. Just setup a button under Options->Remote Control to run the command line rick.ca posted.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 10:41:48 am »

not sure what to do when i goto options - remote control it shows me devices and commands.  i have the harmony one by logitech. i'm not sure how to set up any of these remote commands or devices to work with my remote?  i got the logitech harmony one to work by calling logitech and them putting in the codes from there user database, which im assuming must be others users using the remote with WMP.. how do i select logitech harmony remote in jriver and add the 5 star command. i also see we can make theaterview shortcuts for movies, music, images. id love to have those on my remote as well.

thanks for any info.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 06:33:29 pm »

I think the easist way to use the remote is to program it as a MediaCenter remote. You can do this the software that came with the logitech. That will make most things in JR Mediacenter work by default. From there you should be able to program a button from the mentioned options screen.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:03:59 pm »

they just added 5 star to playing now :) check out new version WORKS AWESOME just make sure you are not using galaxy skin, if you are you wont see the stars

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 07:15:33 pm »

Grrr. Now I'll have to think of something else to program that button for! ;)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 07:27:03 pm »

i posted in new version if they'd be so kind as to add that to theaterview big screen as well. but yet to hear a reply. i hope there throwin around the idea. then it would be perfect :)

thanks for the replies guys, and the hard work :)

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »

...add that to theaterview big screen...

That can't done in the same way, but they could improve the existing OSD. Besides, that's a more appropriate way to allow unobtrusive info displays and controls while a video or visualization is playing. In the case of the rating, it would be pretty much the same thing, except you would have to use the arrow keys to activate the OSD and scroll to that item.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:46 pm »

for my own knowledge.. why isnt that possible? there is no way to remove the top display bar? and then just all the code there using in playing now into the big screen mode?where it would auto hide it on bottom or top and big beautiful readable text with up,down,left,right options?  in big screen now ya can go left right up down. why cant they add rating to that as well? and then just remove the top bar that we can't see?

thanks for teaching me:)

rick.ca

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:12 pm »

for my own knowledge.. why isnt that possible?

I couldn't give you a correct technical answer. I'm sure others here could. I imagine the explanation would have something to so with the fact Big View is fundamentally different than Theatre View—it's a video display. I don't know how it's done, but I suppose anything else (like the existing OSD and player bar) is an overlay. So what you're imagining is probably feasible—as an overlay. But it seems to me the existing OSD is exactly that, except it was probably implemented years ago. If it doesn't work for you, it might be helpful to explain why. Bear in mind, if you make a case for a big, fancy, auto-hiding overlay, many of us are going to object. When viewing a video—especially when others are watching with me—I want the OSD to be a quick and discrete as possible. The existing one is good because it opens at the bottom of the screen and rarely obscures a significant portion of the video or visualization.

Think of gf. If you had it your way—and used it too much—she'd likely put your remote someplace uncomfortable. ;)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 03:33:04 am »

oh no i agree with you. i meant what shows up now in big screen... ya know on the bottom how you can adjust aspect ratio, hue, brightness. right there they would add rating as well, to the list. otherwise i think it's perfect and am not a fan of the top drop down bar at all and never use it due to not being able to read anything from it.

rick.ca

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 07:08:33 am »

ya know on the bottom how you can adjust aspect ratio, hue, brightness

Yes, that's the OSD.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 05:31:36 pm »

i'm confussed are you saying adding rating to OSD people would complain about that? it's only one more option that you would scroll through?

rick.ca

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 06:00:19 pm »

That can't done in the same way, but they could improve the existing OSD. Besides, that's a more appropriate way to allow unobtrusive info displays and controls while a video or visualization is playing. In the case of the rating, it would be pretty much the same thing, except you would have to use the arrow keys to activate the OSD and scroll to that item.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 06:02:52 pm »

;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up