INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8.0.388 BUG: "Comment" ID3v1 Tag doesn't take!  (Read 1840 times)

shahrukh

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MJ 8.0.388 BUG: "Comment" ID3v1 Tag doesn't take!
« on: April 22, 2003, 05:09:55 am »

If you edit the "Comment" Tag by typing text into that column, it will show in the display, will be updated in the MJ database, but will NOT be updated in the ID3v1 tag inside the file! The first clue that this is happening is that when you edit Title, Artist, etc., while the song is playing, it will restart the song, presumably because the file needs to be rewritten. However, if you edit the Comment tag while a song is playing, it keeps right on playing. This is just a CLUE on what is happening--you can confirm this by viewing the end of the file with a text editor and verifying that the comment tag didn't take. Or reimport the file and the comment tag will not reflect what you entered.

There is an easy workaround once you know this is happening (and it's a potentially dangerous bug if, like me, you store lots of custom classification information in the comment field, since you could lose it all without knowing why!): Any subsequent operation that rewrites ID3v1 tags will force the comment tag to be rewritten too. So, for instance, edit the Album Name, delete one character and retype the same character (to force a rewrite) and when the Album name is rewritten, the comment will be correctly copied from the database into the MP3 file.

If you have valuable (i.e., time-consuming to create) information in the comment field that was typed in within MJ8 (as opposed to being imported from somewhere else), then you really want to go through the steps of forcing this operation for all your files, otherwise your comments may only be in the MJ database and NOT within the MP3 file. You don't have to do it one file at a time; sort by Genre or Album Name (for instance)--something that groups large number of files under the same heading, and just do the edit operation in groups of same-Genre or same-Album, by selecting the group and retyping the same name to force the rewrite.

My tests are on MJ8--I have not checked whether this has been fixed in MC9. Also, I have not checked if the ID3v2 comment tag has the same problem (mainly since it's more difficult to find the v2 tag with a text editor), although I do have both v1 and v2 tags turned on.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MJ 8.0.388 BUG: "Comment" ID3v1 Tag
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 09:59:40 am »

8.0.388 is really old.

>> mainly since it's more difficult to find the
>> v2 tag with a text editor
normaly found in the first 5,000 bytes
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 10:15:29 am »

The newer version is here:

www.mediajukebox.com/download

shahrukh

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MJ 8.0.388 BUG: "Comment" ID3v1 Tag doesn't ..
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 10:53:28 am »

8.0.388 is really old.

>> mainly since it's more difficult to find the
>> v2 tag with a text editor
normaly found in the first 5,000 bytes

Interesting that when I did (and do) Help>Check for Updates, 8.0.388 consistently told me "No Updates Available at this Time."

Anyway, I downloaded 8.0.398 and (as I expected), it has the same problem. [I did discover that you need to select more than 1 track when you edit another tag to force a rewrite of the Comment tag, so my workaround above has  this slight modification.]

P.S. Yes, I know ID3v2 tags are found in a large block at the front of the file (5000 sounds about right), which indeed makes it harder to find than 128 bytes with fixed fields at the very end of the file ....

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 12:02:55 pm »

also ID3v2.4 could be anyplace in the Mp3 (per something I read)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up