INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help with 3 of the same mp3 players  (Read 2687 times)

vicini

• World Citizen
need help with 3 of the same mp3 players
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:22:09 pm »

never been an issue until now

we were at a frys eletronics store amd decided to buy new mp3 players for the kids. i got 3 new "Centon Craze Mp3 Players"
As I have always done before, i have 3 playlists. 1 for each of the kids. I would plug in there mp3 players and set each on up to auto sync to there own playlist. before now, they never had the same mp3 players. they were always different players.  But now the problem is, since they are the same brand same model, MC think its the same MP3 player that i plug in. Is there a way to tell MC that they are inded different MP3 players???

Thanks in advance

Scott
Scott

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: need help with 3 of the same mp3 players
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:02 pm »

I don't have mine at hand to plug in, but, I'm sure that there's an option under "Options" for each handheld that allows you to rename the device. Maybe that will be enough for you?

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:57:50 pm »

i tried that already. thats how i discovered the issue. I plugged in the first one and named it Kevin's MP3 and set that up to auto sync. I then plugged in a second one, and it came up as Kevin's MP3. I even went as far as changing the volume name in windows to something different. but it still came up the same.
Scott

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:33:15 pm »

In Explorer, try right clicking the device and renaming it.  Might work.

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:23 am »

nope, i've tried that too with no success. i rename 1, then the other 2 shows to be the same one as the first. i cant tell it that they are indeed different devices
Scott

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:39:12 am »

You can try assigning unique drive letters to each of them by
going to Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Computer Management
then on the left select disk management
then right click the volume of the mp3 player and choose “change drive letter and path”
give each mp3 player a different drive letter

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:54:05 am »

that sounds like windows 7. we still use xp on this machine. but none the less, i did that in windows xp. Changed the drive letter to M on one. Pluged in another one, and it shows drive M too. these are the same players so i wonder if there is no way around this. The end result is they show up as the same hardware name. i was wondering if i can change the hardware name for each one. so instead of showing Centon Craze MP3 USB Device if i can change it to something else. any ideas?
Scott

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:19:06 am »

to add to my last post
i do use windows 7 so im not sure how much of this will apply to xp
when i had the same problem as you, i plugged in all the drives at the same time then went to disk management.
In disk management there was red question marks beside all but one of the drives that needed changes and they said “offline"
When I put the mouse over the word "offline" it displayed this message
"This disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk."
So i right clicked on “offline” then choose “online”
all the drives then showed up and could have unique drive letters assigned to them

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:29:31 pm »

Maybe this could work for you.  Instead of Auto Sync, use Manual Sync and use the checkboxes to select only the Playlist that is unique for each player.  This will transfer only the songs in the selected Playlist to the device. 

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:09 am »

sorry to say, none of the suggestions have worked. when i do plug all 3 in, they do come up as seperate drives. but then when i take them all out and put them in seperatly, each one still comes up as if they were sameone. manual sync? thats not what i am looking for. i am trying to set this up for the kids with autosync. i just cant tell the software that they are different mp3 players but MC see's them as 1. any other takers???
Scott

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 04:42:54 am »

Do the manually changed device/volume names stick in Windows?

If the OS does not report each device anyhow differently I don't think the JRiver developers can do anything to fix the problem.

Personally I would either sync the playlists manually or use three separate libraries or even separate programs. For instance, MJ12, MC13, and MC14 can be installed simultaneusly (MC13 works with an MC14 license).

Alternatively you could create three virtual handhelds that store the MP3 files in folders on a hard drive. Then you could simply drag and drop the folders to the devices or use some other program that can easily sync them. (For example, Karen's Replicator is a free program that can keep separate locations in sync. Once it is configured it is quite automatic.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 06:08:10 am »

What version are you using?  You can find it under Help/About.  14.0.130, for example.

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »

i'm running current version of 14.0.144
Scott

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 01:58:10 am »

i just updated to the current version of 14.0.147 and still having the same issue
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up