INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Fart Needs Help Finding playlists  (Read 1279 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Old Fart Needs Help Finding playlists
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:45:55 am »

Hi Guys & Gals! It's been a while since I've been around, I guess that's what happens when MC fulfills all your media needs! I see lotsa new names here, missing some old ones.

Anyway, I recently had to reformat my C drive and reinstall everything, but seem to be missing my playlists. What file extention should it have and where should it be?

Another issue I'm having is that none of my settings in Options stick. I believe it to be a windows issue, but  thought I'd ask if any one has any ideas on how to fix it.

I happen to be using MC13 at the moment, but I'm having the exact same issues with MC14. This is my backup computer as I am rebuilding my HTPC atm.

Thanks for any help, Jay.

Media Center 13.0.171 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 895 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 522 MB, Free - 182 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.5512 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive Z:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive Z: LG       CD-RW CED-8080B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Old Fart Needs Help Finding playlists
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:16:32 am »

Hi there modelmaker, great to hear from you again!!

Playlists:
Playlists that you had saved as external files would most commonly have an .m3u extension, but, depending on how you created them, could also have .pls, .wpl, .mpl, .xpl or .bpl extensions.

If you mean the playlists you would expect to find under "Playlists" in your MC tree, then those are stored as part of your library in a file called playlistx.jmd and should be present in any library backup you have.

Settings:
MC stores the choices you make in its options in the Windows registry. If your choices are not sticking, then I can only think of two reasons:

A. You do not have permission to write to the registry
B. You are running MC in "Party Mode"

Check "B" first. Open Options, and go to "General > Advanced > Features" and see if there's a tick next to party mode?

If not, then "A" is all that's left I can think of, and I'm not sure of the best way to advise you from there. Are you running from a limited user account on XP?

-marko

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 05:49:28 pm »

jmd duhh!

I will check out B and I am running as administrator. There's been a few other quircks with this XP install, (I had a friend- IT guy do it, 'cuz when I reformatted and tried to install XP it kept telling me that my my Key code was not valid, it did the same when I even tried installing win2k and both keys were certainly valid before, wierd, huh).

Thanks marko.
Jay.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 06:55:02 pm »

modelmaker,
I was wondering a few days ago where you'd been.  Nice to see you around the old place.

Jim

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:08:24 pm »

Hi Jim!

I've been lurking from time to time, life has kept me from spending much time on the web and I'm a satisfied MC customer! I have been keeping up to date with the versions although I've been waiting to get my HTPC rebuilt before making the final switch to MC14. Is AlexB still around? I didn't see any posts in the last 3 pages.

I had a fatal malware attack on my old Dell and I'm still having issues with Windows after the reformat and reinstallation.which seem to be affecting MC as well, so I need to hurry up and get the HTPC back up and running soon.

It looks like I lost all my playlists with the reformat. I also lost 8 years (6 gigs) of photos. I did save my HTPC C drive from about a year ago, so in the end hopefully I will only have lost the last year, (that's bad enough).

I'll be checking in more often and hopefully help out some of the noobes!  Jay.

Btw, I walked into Staples the other day and saw a terrabite drive for $139, do y'all remember just 2 years ago what it took and cost to put together a terrabite of memory? Geez. :o

Viva MC!
Jay.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:49:03 pm »

modelmaker, sorry for you loss. I hope you can recover them.

Only if I got two cents every time I say the playlists should be kept in sync with external files ....   :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up