INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H.264/MP4 Playback  (Read 1444 times)

zuiko

• Recent member
H.264/MP4 Playback
« on: March 02, 2010, 05:44:52 am »

I have a few issues with playback of H.264/MP4 files (on 151) that maybe somebody could help me out with.

1) Fast forward does a +30s skip and rewind does a -10s skip when playing back MP4. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use WM or QT as the playback device. I get this behavior either way. Is there a way to adjust these values? Or to do a true fast forward/rewind rather than skip forward/skip back?

2) There doesn't appear to be any resume on MP4. If I stop playback my only option is to restart from the beginning. Is there something I am missing here or is this not available?

3) If I try using "JRiver Video Engine" as a playback device I get an "Opening File..." splash screen and a hard system lock. No BSOD but the system is hard locked and the only way out is to power cycle.

4) Would I be better off using the MKV container instead of MP4? Would that make any difference on these issues or are these related to the codec?

Edit: I tried using the MKV container and it didn't seem to make any difference on fast forward/rewind but I am getting resume functionality on MKVs.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: H.264/MP4 Playback
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:56:56 am »

Play the file type in JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters).  Make sure you have DirectShow filters (download and install CCCP if you have not done so).  Do FF/REW with CTRL+Arrow keys.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:26:01 pm »

This brings me to an old point. I used to be a fan of the +30/-10 skips. However, I now firmly believe that a +10/-10 would be better. I remember when MC13 or MC14 first came out, there was a +10/-10 skipping feature, but this got "fixed" in an early build,. In that time I really got used to it. It was good to be able to go 10s forward, without having to go back 20s first. A 30 second advance would be a simple matter of a triple-tap - no big deal. I'd strongly request a revisiting of this feature.

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:42:21 am »

I was able to get the JRiver video engine to work so I got fast forward and rewind now. Thanks.

This brings me to an old point. I used to be a fan of the +30/-10 skips. However, I now firmly believe that a +10/-10 would be better. I remember when MC13 or MC14 first came out, there was a +10/-10 skipping feature, but this got "fixed" in an early build,. In that time I really got used to it. It was good to be able to go 10s forward, without having to go back 20s first. A 30 second advance would be a simple matter of a triple-tap - no big deal. I'd strongly request a revisiting of this feature.

It would be awesome if it were a configurable option. I'm sure everyone has different preferences here. For me I would rather it be something like +60/-60 or even +30/-30.
Pages: [1]   Go Up