INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 and WinMo Phone devices  (Read 2007 times)

RainCaster

• Recent member
MC14 and WinMo Phone devices
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »

This message is being put here, since the issue has been ignored in the devices area. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53774.0.

Anyhow, the basic set of issues are two-fold.
First, MC14 only sees the device on the first plug-in event after starting MC14. Unplug and replug the device, it cannot be found again, even though Windows sees it just fine.  Same thing happens with both Vista and Win7, BTW. The work-around is just to restart MC14. It might be annoying, but it works.

Second issue (for which I have no workaround) is that MC14 cannot read or write files on the "\Storage Card" folder on my phone. This is a real deal-breaker for any WinMo user. Each phone is given a very small amount of internal memory (usally less than 100M), and we all put in a a big SD card. In my case (typical I think) I have an 8 gig card.  Right now I have over 7 gigs free on my SD card, and only 78megs free of "normal" memory. Cryin' shame that I can't put any music on my phone, be cause MC cannot access that 7 gig filesystem.

I will gladly work with you to fix this issue- I really like MC and my phone as well. I don't want to trade either, I just want them to play well together.
TIA,
RC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC14 and WinMo Phone devices
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:44 pm »

If the storage card shows up in Windows Explorer, MC should also see it.

It's not clear that this is an MC issue.

RainCaster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:58:52 am »

"Storage Card" shows up in Explorer and I can copy music files there by hand. When MC14 connects it will never find the music files. That sounds like MC14 to me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:53 am »

"Storage Card" shows up in Explorer and I can copy music files there by hand. When MC14 connects it will never find the music files. That sounds like MC14 to me.
For this to work in MC, the card needs to show up as a drive, with a drive letter.  See the post from another user in the other thread on this subject.

RainCaster

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »

While that option was given with ActiveSync which ran on XP, life is different for us with Vista or Seven. We have the great new experience of "Windows Mobile Device Center", which does not give this option. Unless I've missed something here, that option is just not given anymore.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:01 pm »

It does - on my Version of WinMo 6.5 when I plug it in (to Win7) the Phone askes if I want to connect as:
1) Active Sync
2) Disk Drive
3) Internet Sharing

If your WinMo phone is not asking what to do when plugging in to the USB cable then have a look at your settings in the "USB to PC" app (it's in my Start --> Settings --> Connections but I've a custom ROM so it may be elsewhere for you).  One of the options in the "USB to PC" app is you can set it to always connect to one of the three options OR (as I have it) "Ask me first about USB connection type when I connect the device to the PC" option....then I pick if I want the Disk Drive (best for MC), Active Sync (for syncing) or Internet Sharing when I want to use it as a modem.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

RainCaster

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »

Thanks Nathan! I will give that a go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up