INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *Newbie* multiroom audio  (Read 2075 times)

maggo87

*Newbie* multiroom audio
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:44:42 pm »

Hi all
Im new to these forums as i am on a trial of MC, i am testing various software to see what is better for my multiroom audio setup, What i have is a PC with all my music on and i have 6 different speakers (living room, kitchen, garden, landing, bathroom, main bedroom) i want to be able to control what i play through these speakers (will be the same song/radio station on all speakers) via a touch screen monitor and i want to be able to control which speakers get the sound and which dont, i also want to be able to set the volume on each speaker? Can MC do this if so how can i see it in action on the trial i have downloaded. Also will there be any hardware i need between the speakers and the soundcard? also what soundcard would be best?
Sorry for going on i just like the look of this software and hope it does what i want.
Thanks for reading
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: *Newbie* multiroom audio
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:51:50 pm »

maggo87

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:14 pm »

Thanks for the reply, still havent got a clue how to do this, i read that thread and it just confused me even more, can someone let me know what hardware i would need so that i can have 6 different speakers(6 zones)?
As you can probably tell im a total newbie with this.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:25 pm »

Are you already using the speakers or is this something you are planning to do? If you are already using the speakers, how are you powering them? They require some sort of amplifier. This can be a standalone amplfiier, a multi-channel amplifier for distributed sound, an amplifier that is built into a wall mounted volume switch, or an amplifier that is built into either wall or ceiling mounted speakers.

Your signal path is soundcard > amplifier > speaker. The cable between the soundcard and amplifier is called an interconnect and is usually an 1/8" mini (also called 3.5mm) to RCA cable. You use speaker cable from the amplifier to the speaker.

Even though one might have a 7.1 soundcard, MC currently only supports 3 zones from one soundcard. They now allow for mono audio in the Ouput Format DSP so they should support up to 7 zones from one soundcard.

I use an Audioengine W1 wireless audio transmitter for a zone in my house. It would cost you $600, but you could connect six of the transmitters to your motherboard if you have enough USB ports. I have the receiver plugged in at an upstairs bedroom near a small two channel amplifier and speakers.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »

Here's another possible way to do this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55888.0

maggo87

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:51:40 am »

Are you already using the speakers or is this something you are planning to do? If you are already using the speakers, how are you powering them? They require some sort of amplifier. This can be a standalone amplfiier, a multi-channel amplifier for distributed sound, an amplifier that is built into a wall mounted volume switch, or an amplifier that is built into either wall or ceiling mounted speakers.

Your signal path is soundcard > amplifier > speaker. The cable between the soundcard and amplifier is called an interconnect and is usually an 1/8" mini (also called 3.5mm) to RCA cable. You use speaker cable from the amplifier to the speaker.

Even though one might have a 7.1 soundcard, MC currently only supports 3 zones from one soundcard. They now allow for mono audio in the Ouput Format DSP so they should support up to 7 zones from one soundcard.

I use an Audioengine W1 wireless audio transmitter for a zone in my house. It would cost you $600, but you could connect six of the transmitters to your motherboard if you have enough USB ports. I have the receiver plugged in at an upstairs bedroom near a small two channel amplifier and speakers.

I dont yet have it setup, it is something im looking at getting setup. It is mono audio that i am doing, what soundcard would do this? and also what amplifier should i use? could you give me some links just so i know what im looking for.
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up