INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching from Theatre view to Standard view messy  (Read 4573 times)

Pjotr

• World Citizen
Switching from Theatre view to Standard view messy
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:24 am »

When I switch back from Theatre view to Standard view (MC15.0.17) the Standard view becomes a mess with parts of the panes scattered around and sticking drop downs from the menu bar. I am using the Thunderstorm Skin for Standard View.

Also the program hangs then finally and can only be killed throug Windows.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
Re: Switching from Theatre view to Standard view messy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

Just updated to MC 15.0.23 Problem still persist.

I don’t have this trouble with M14.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:58:52 pm »

Bump

With 15.0.32 still there. It happens on my office W2K machine.

No responses up to now. Is there no interest in this bug or is W2K no longer supported?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:54:42 pm »

No responses up to now. Is there no interest in this bug or is W2K no longer supported?

it might be helpfull to give some more info.. this is the first post you mention it is on w2k. maybe also some screenshots.

:)
gab

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 05:08:15 am »

it might be helpfull to give some more info.. this is the first post you mention it is on w2k. maybe also some screenshots.

gab
I suppose a new release will be tested on all qualified win systems before putting them online….

(Edit)

To where can I send a screenshot?

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/00B27A2E-733E-40F3-A33D-5BEC97123C74/MC15-Screenshot/

The top pane stays fixed in the left-top corner

gappie

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 06:08:36 am »

I suppose a new release will be tested on all qualified win systems before putting them online….

(Edit)

To where can I send a screenshot?

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/00B27A2E-733E-40F3-A33D-5BEC97123C74/MC15-Screenshot/

The top pane stays fixed in the left-top corner
that indeed looks messed up.  8)
i doubt that mc still tests it on w2k system before every release. they depend also on the bug reports from their users. keep in mind too that mc 15 is still beta, as you can see in the header of the release thread.
the more info, the bigger the change a bug can be killed.
you are using the latest video drivers of your card?

gab

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:25 pm »

you are using the latest video drivers of your card?

gab

Yes. Anyway MC14 behaves correct in this respect.

It appears the top pane is locked in the top left corner and can’t be moved.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 03:06:25 pm »

The only thing I can think of would be to make sure that you are running the latest Win 2k supported version of your video card drivers.  Just because MC14 doesn't do it, doesn't mean that MC15 isn't using DirectDraw in a way that isn't implemented correctly in your videocard drivers.

Considering that Microsoft itself is even ending "extended" support for Windows 2000 in July (for real this time, it appears), it might be time to take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 7 (or at least XP if your hardware won't support 7).  Come on in, the water's fine (and there are some very nice security features in modern versions of Windows).  Once extended support expires, Windows 2000 really won't be safe to run on an Internet connected PC anymore because they will have stopped issuing security patches for it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:20:40 pm »

Yes, it is always some bodies else fault ;D

The W2K machine still runs fine in all other respects and yes MS will end support for it as well as for XP some time. Only MC15 shows this weird behaviour.

And no I don’t change this machine for now. I simply don’t have the spare time for it and apart from MC15 there is no need at all. Every other old and modern software runs fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 03:38:52 pm »

Ha ha... Well, there's a first time for everything, right?  You're right, though, since Windows 2000 and Windows XP were effectively the same OS, anything that runs on XP well will usually run on Windows 2000 well.  I was just making the point that just because it works in MC14, and doesn't in MC15, does not mean that it is MC doing something wrong.  Correlation does not equal causation.  Of course, it might be MC's fault, but it also might be MC15 exposing a flaw in some other piece of software (almost certainly a driver, if so) that MC14 did not.

But hey... I don't work for JRiver, so maybe they'll be able to figure it out.  I'd also just say that you can't really expect them to keep supporting it fully with their new versions, when even Microsoft is dropping support for it in a couple of months.  I can say this: I have not seen that same thing with MC15 on any of my Windows XP or Windows 7 builds.  I have seen similar screen redrawing issues with software in the past, and often (but not always) it was a buggy video card driver (ahh the old pre-Catalyst ATI days).

But really, I was just making a suggestion that now might be the time to bother with the hassle of the update.  Windows 2000 is being pulled from Extended Support in July, though (that means no more patches of any kind unless you pay Microsoft to build one for you, and you can't afford that bill).  The current date for Windows XP is April 8, 2014, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that date extended again when we get there.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 04:26:14 pm »

Up to my knowledge, MS will support XP until 2011. Didn’t know they have changed that.

As for now I’ll go back to MC14. This an office machine/design workhorse and playing music is not it’s main task. Other heavily graphics oriented design software don’t show problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »

Things to try:

1.  Set General/Advanced/Popup Transparency option off.

2.  Update video driver

3.  Update DirectShow from Microsoft

4.  Make sure you're using the latest build of MC15 available at the top of the MC15 board.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »

Thanks Jim,

With regard to point 4/ I am using 15.0.32 and can’t find a later build. Point 2/ and 3/ are up to date. Changed according to point 1/ This didn’t solve the problem.

Nevertheless still happy with MC14 ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 04:57:28 pm »

Did you update DirectX from Microsoft?  Just confirming.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 05:51:17 pm »

If it is included in the latest DirectX of feb 2010 then yes. But I don’t see what Direct Show has to do with simple window drawing on screen.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 06:11:41 pm »

Up to my knowledge, MS will support XP until 2011. Didn’t know they have changed that.

They list the product lifecycle dates here: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

If it is included in the latest DirectX of feb 2010 then yes. But I don’t see what Direct Show has to do with simple window drawing on screen.

Assuming you updated using this one, though, you should have the latest version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »

I should have said DirectX.  Corrected above.

Even if you think you're current, try it.

I had a problem with a new notebook from a major mfr about 6 months ago.  It was solved by updating DirectX.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 06:33:12 pm »

Ok, but Jim was talking about Directshow which has more to do with streaming IMHO.

Yes, that is the same latest version I have installed. Just checked thouroughly my win updates and only some .NET security updates came up. Updating all didn't solve the problem.

When I don’t switch back an forth between standard view an theatre view, standard view behaves normally. Switching between Mini View and Standard view doesn’t show the problem either.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:45 pm »

Ok, but Jim was talking about Directshow which has more to do with streaming IMHO.

Yeah, I misread that just like he mistyped it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 07:04:31 pm »

Yes, that is the same latest version I have installed. Just checked thouroughly my win updates and only some .NET security updates came up. Updating all didn't solve the problem.

When I don’t switch back an forth between standard view an theatre view, standard view behaves normally. Switching between Mini View and Standard view doesn’t show the problem either.
If switching causes an error, it's probably video driver or DirectX.  MC is switching to and from 3D graphics when you do move from Theater View to anything else.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 10:00:42 pm »

I'm getting a similar screen disruption upon exit from Theater View on one of my computers as well. In my case the window is expanded beyond the edges of the screen as it it way to big to fit. I haven't had time yet to take a screenshot when it happens, nor have I tried updateing drivers etc. In my case, this only happens in 15 as well. I have an ATI 3570 with drivers that were updated about a month ago, but probably not the latest.

I will post more information when I get some time to look at it, but in the meantime I thought the information provided might be helpful to someone.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 01:23:38 pm »

Hi,

Here another broken screen. This happens when I switch between Standard View and  Cover View and back. IMHO no 3D drawing involved. This is really weird.

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/9C65EF30-6C0B-4705-BF1B-F16F239E7D5E/MC15_screenshots/891886776_orig0.jpg

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

Just to check, Pjotr... Have you tried with the default Noire skin?  That would tell them if maybe you were hitting a skin specific bug...

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:40 pm »

Have done so. Exactly the same behaviour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up