INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: N900 not showing until I go to My Computer  (Read 2952 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
N900 not showing until I go to My Computer
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »

I connect the N900 in Mass Storage mode. The drive appears fine in Explorer. However jRMC 15.0.23 doesn't detect the N900 until I manually go into My Computer and click on the drive that the N900 appears as (which hasn't changed).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: N900 not showing until I go to My Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:07:20 pm »

I connect the N900 in Mass Storage mode. The drive appears fine in Explorer.
Does it appear in Explorer with a drive letter?  Or just as the device name.

dm233

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:14:23 pm »

goatherder,
had the same issue.  do you have pc suite or ovi installed??  on vista I've found that if you uninstall these  and any Nokia USB drivers, I was able to get it to show up automagically in MC.  even though logically it would seem that one would bypass the Nokia hooks when connecting in mass storage mode there looks to be some communication to the Nokia drivers nonetheless.  uninstalling all of the Nokia files from my machine seemed to do the trick.  besides pc suite is fairly useless for the n900 any way as most of the functionality is fairly limited and a huge ball of frustration when so many more efficient tools are avail...

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:45 pm »

Nope. No PC suite. I've tried it on the display hub (hooked up using one of the 2.0 ports) as well in case the USB 3.0 port I had it hooked up to was a problem, but same behaviour.

As I wrote, it shows up in Explorer (yes - on a drive letter), and I am connecting in Mass Storage Mode.

Seems N900 related to me as I've just tried a Samsung UMS player that that is re-detected without issues.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell Precision M6500 Covet w/USB 3.0, Dell 3008WFP. iTunes etc - other media managers with exception of standard Windows stuff not loaded.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:27:42 am »

I've noticed, but haven't really explored it fully yet, that my device is treated differently now (though I've just changed devices, so it could just be that).

If I plug it in while MC is running, MC doesn't seem to see it as a device. If it's there when MC is started then it sees it. Strange.

Of course the OS sees it, and as you say, it does appear under computer, but then obviously isn't being managed as a device.
I'll try to do some more testing for my issue, but it's probably worth you seeing if plugging it in before starting MC makes a difference.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »

Thanks for that, you've just made it make sense for me. I've just realised that every time it's worked, it's been plugged in before starting MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up