INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 1939 times)

AVI

• Recent member
Newbie Questions
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:58:39 am »

Hi,

I've been using MC since ver 13 and have to say its pretty peerless as far as music players go. Sound quality and features put it miles ahead of anything else and the ability to have independent music zones and most importantly sync them is for me, possibly the single best feature. As a systems integrator I have been hoping to use the application commercially but there are a few questions about functionality I can't seem to find definitive answers on as follows;

1) As mentioned the multi zone functionality is very useful. However synchronizing of zones within Theatre View is not possible nor via the API. Is this easily done? Use of MC via touchscreen or IR remote etc is preferable to a mouse and using the standard view.
2) The API does not seem to support browsing the media library. If we were to develop a control app so we can use MC with the likes of Crestron, AMX etc, we need some easy way to navigate media. Artists>Albums and search via letter is a pretty normal requirement. In addition to this, the basic commands like cursor control don't seem to be there either. Have I missed them?
3) Movies. As a long term user and licensee of MyMovies, I was quite excited by the possibility of MC being able to use the MM .xml files. In trying to use them though MC does not seem to produce a particularly organised view (if at all) in standard view. When I have got it to work I then cannot get it in Theatre View under a 'Movies' section, only Videos. The display of what covers appear (never all) is then not in the same league as for music. Is this still a work in progress? I see attention being focused on other means of Movie data retrieval now rather than MM.
4) Assuming integration of Movies can be made more standalone as opposed to being treated as Videos. Are there any plans to provide command line functionality for HD players such as Arcsoft TMT etc so these can be utilised by MC for HD playback within the MC app and particularly Theatre View.

Apologies if I'm going over any old ground here but as updates have been launched, these areas don't seem to have been updated and as a user and someone who wants to use MC commercially, the zone functions, API and movie functionality mentioned make it a better solution for us.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:32:29 am »

#1 -- This isn't exactly what you want, but take a look at WebRemote, under the "MC 15 Features" topic.

#2 -- I don't think this is possible.  XPTunes is a third party plug-in that manages some of this.  It might be worth asking the developer what he knows.  Also take a look at our Web Services API.

#3 -- Why separate video and movies?  You may be able to do this by assigning a new Media Type or Media Sub Type.  Those are tags.

#4 -- MC can launch an app from TheaterView.  Check the TheaterView customization section.

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:08 pm »

3) Movies. As a long term user and licensee of MyMovies, I was quite excited by the possibility of MC being able to use the MM .xml files.

I don't use MyMovies, but I understand automatic importing of MM XML files works fine—it's not a work in progress. I think you're failing to recognize the menu structure and file info views in Theatre View are completely configurable.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:50:11 am »

Movies and Videos will probably never be split up default. You can do this in so many ways your self. You'll just have to dig into the world of custom views and custom library fields. Then you can split things just as much as you want to.

For automatic tagging, for example based on directory location of the files, search for Autotagger in the plugins forum.

You should come a LONG way with this stuff.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

AVI

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:06:23 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys. Having installed ver 15 and now tried again it recognises mymovies xml's without any problem now. Guess it was just an old version that was still a bit buggy.

I have now had the opportunity to play with the configuration in Theatre view. One thing I cannot seem to change is the text view of movies. Currently its displaying the genre of the movie. I can't find an option which will change this to the title.

Also, selecting a title takes you to a 'useless' screen before you get to the option to play. Any way to customise this or is it because Theatre View treats all media types the same, so the 'useless' screen is actually useful a different media type.

Lastly on the subject of the API and its inability to search by album/artist, provide cursor functions and sync zones. These things have been requested so many times why is the answer always you can't do it? I can't see why the API cannot be modified to extend third party control as everyone wants.

Thanks again for the replies to date.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:08 pm »

Also, selecting a title takes you to a 'useless' screen before you get to the option to play. Any way to customise this or is it because Theatre View treats all media types the same, so the 'useless' screen is actually useful a different media type.

I meant it when I said it was completely configurable. Whatever appears to be 'useless' is the result of your configuration. I suggest you have a thorough look at everything in Options - Theatre View, do some experimenting, then ask about whatever specific difficulties you're then having. It seems one thing you must have missed entirely is Customize file info panel..., but I'm not sure what to suggest beyond that. There are also lots of topics here about it that might serve you well to read first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up