INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: How to prevent playback hanging on 'buffering' on a client?  (Read 1238 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe

I now had it several times and don't know how to prevent this situation, a hint would be very much appreciated:

Using 'Library Server' with an access key on the main media machine, connecting from a client computer works well but sometimes playback hangs on 'buffering' and doesn't get resolved. Have to close the program and restart it. Happens only sometimes and is not reproduceable at the exact same location.

- Main machine most modern very fast hardware with quad CPU, Win7 x86 clean install, MC library with almost 300'000 tracks
- Client machine older hardware with dual CPU, WinXP Pro latest build x86
- Both machines run MC version 15.0.28 of course
- Gigabit home network, managed 24-port switch
- No firewall or virus scanner running
- No access from/to Internet (blocked)

Within MC15 there is also no way to see on the server side what happens within library server as it was possible before

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question: How to prevent playback hanging on 'buffering' on a client?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:23:14 am »

Maybe the disk is spun down.  Here's a similar problem (and solution):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56979.msg388273#msg388273

globetrotters1

Re: Question: How to prevent playback hanging on 'buffering' on a client?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:32:10 am »

Maybe the disk is spun down

Jim,

It's not logical that it should have something to do with this. The media RAID system is running all the time and the main machine normally also plays music by itself.

Imaginable for me is that there is a certain compatibility problem in the networking part between WinXP and Win7, that the WinXP client doesn't get out of a
buffering request loop if it doesn't receive the requested package within reasonable time.

It's just annoying because there is no other remedy as to hard restart the client computer! (the server system is running on without problems and can get accessed
again after restart)

All this suggests that there is a problem buried here (request timeout? repeat request? cancel request?) seems like a loop

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up