INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 Window/Display issues  (Read 1456 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
MC15 Window/Display issues
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »

Hiya, running MC 15.0.28, and I'm experiencing some issues with the main app's window on Windows7.

It seems like it may be triggered by the Win7 snap-to functionality...where you can drag a window and it snaps into place on the left/right.  I only say that b/c I seem to think the issues described happen when that snap-to action was busy doing it's thing.

Unfortunately, it isn't easily reproducible, but a couple times today it the window flaked out, and disappeared on me.  No matter if I clicked on the icon in the task bar, or right-clicked it and tried to maximize it, it wouldn't show.  Another time, it flaked out and disappeared far to the left, so that only the right edge of the application's window was visible.

Here's my System Info:
Media Center 15.0.28 C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\

6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 58785 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3145 MB, Free - 1195 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     DVD RW DW-Q28A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC15 Window/Display issues
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:26:50 pm »

Is it possible your setup in Windows has two monitors, but that only one is on?

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:49:13 pm »

Nope, just a single monitor.  I do use a KVM switch so I can control a secondary Linux box, but once that thing is feeding the signal from DVI-out to the monitor's DVI-in, there isn't any way I can see that this would cause an issue.

As I said, this isn't behavior that I can easily reproduce, but I just wanted to mention it.  The win7 snap behavior of the MC app is a bit goofy, though.  The paint/redraw isn't as smooth as other native apps (e.g. Google Chrome).  It flashes and zips all over the screen, and it does snap in place, but it flickers a lot.  This is easily reproducible.  If I can figure out some way to do a desktop video recording I can show you.  It isn't really a big deal...just aesthetics...

The graphics card is nVidia GeForce 6600 GT with Microsoft driver.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:40:06 pm »

Put up a demo here:

http://www.tempfiles.net/downloadd/201004/95956/mc_win7_snap.avi.html

Sorry it is annoying and makes you wait a minute before you can see the avi, but it was the first free hosting service I found that would take a large AVI.

st33ld13hl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:42:15 pm »

This is an issue I am having as well. The feature to snap-to-expand needs to be disabled for Windows 7. Windows 7 already has this built in to the OS.

Please don't get my comments confused with the snap-to-edge feature (which I DO enjoy).

I have a multi-monitor setup, and when I drag my media player between the two monitors, MC15 spazzes out (Jumps huge, then back normal, then huge, and then normal). It is not appealing. MC13 did not do this.
sorry, it's a big video
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3306922/desktopMC15.avi
Please disable edge-expanding for Windows7 or make a setting to disable. Thanks, Matt

st33ld13hl

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:47:44 pm »

great, now I'm just confused. I see some people saying thanks for putting in snap expanding for Win7:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57373.0

I guess the jriver is using their own window manager for the media player and not the microsoft one (which has the snap expand feature built in). If that is the case...then I am not sure about what the best solution to the ugly transition as I drag the player between monitors. hmmm, I'll have to keep thinking about this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up