INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Archos IT5, synchronisation problems ..  (Read 1851 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Archos IT5, synchronisation problems ..
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:14:55 pm »

Guys,

I have an 500GB Archos IT5. Uploading flac goes smooth. Only on reconnecting the device again almost all music seems to be gone looking through Media Center. All music is there because I can play it with my Archos. Only then the playlists are empty.

I have the problem with both the latest versions of MC14 and MC15. What goes wrong here ?

Marsies .....

p.s. Never make the mistake I made with buying something from Archos !.!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Archos IT5, synchronisation problems ..
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:29:12 pm »

Only on reconnecting the device again almost all music seems to be gone looking through Media Center.

You mean that when you plug the device in again, the music doesn't show up?  Or do you mean that it takes Media Center a long time to show what is on the device?

Can you browse to the missing music under the 'My Computer' area of Media Center and see it there?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:17:58 pm »

Matt,

I'm trying it right now. My Opus filemanager shows the device is connected and I can browse through all files.

It is very strange that the Archos does not show up under the section of 'My Computer' through Media Center. But I can see the Archos showing up as an 'Handheld Device' in MC, very contradictory.

The upper section of the MC screen is a bit distorted when I browse on the Archos as a handheld device.

Marsies .....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:10 pm »

Maybe the device is in MTP mode.  If so, try changing it.

Please explain the comment about buying from Archos.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:10 am »

JimH and Matt,

I have changed the USB setting from MTP to MSC. I had to format the disk to a Windows readable version when changing from MTP to MSC. This change of configuration solves most of the experienced problems. What remains are the following:
  • In MTP mode there was an Archos picture, now it is changed into an iPod. Screen is no longer distorted
  • When trying to synchronise a lot of files MC crashes. This also happened in the past with my iPod and both MC14/MC15
  • About ten non-media files remain visible in the MC screen. These are system files of the Archos, they shouldn't be there.

JimH, the answer to your question is a very long one. I could go on for ages but will try to keep it short:
  • The Archos 5 IT looks good on paper, in real life it's packed with bugs. I can't work error free for much more then 10 minutes;
  • I bought this thing on 27-11-2009 and had it in my possesion for 1 week then it had to go back to France. I finally received a new one just 2 weeks ago;
  • The support in Holland sucks and the french are so arrogant not to reply to any email or send an apology;
  • It is an Internet Tablet relying on WiFi. But WiFi fails to connect most of the time or keep it's connection;
  • This multimedia device is delivered without charger and you have to pay for a plug-in to play mpeg files;
  • There are about 2/3 firmware updates a month. Why, to try to solve the many bugs and other issues;
  • When connecting to USB and synchronizing many files the battery runs out because an USB port can't supply enough power. Solution is buy another dock that they sell which will have a mains connection.

I have been so extremely stupid not to listen to all the bad news about Archos that I found on the Internet. Now from my own experience I can tell that the company is bad news and that I will never recommend or buy it. The main reason I bought it is because it has a 500GB disk and could play flac. I have to be honest it looked liked to perfect solution for my needs.

It's a shame that nowadays so many products are being released without being thoroughly tested. I'm glad that the medical world has different rules. Ohw the automatic breathing system failed. Let's restart for 10 minutes and hope the patient will stay alive.

Marsies .....

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:35:19 am »

JimH and Matt,

I forgot two things. When selecting Playlists on the Archos it first indicates that they are unknown. When I select the Unknown Playlist it shows the synchronized playlists and plays them correct. With the amount of bugs that Archos manages to produce it might also be a fault on their side.

The second thing is when will MC be ported to Android. You will have at least one happy customer. Exactly ME  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up